Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crazy USAA Story

tag
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

Re: Crazy USAA Story

@flowfaster wrote:
That's just crazy. Oh well, hopefully we will have success with TU and EX. There is no way we are paying for the ex husbands car. Would you?

I hate to be a wet blanket here, but there is ABSOLUTELY a way she is paying for that car if the SOL has not expired. When you cosign, you are financially responsible for the loan. Unless there was something in the divorce agreement stating otherwise, they will come after her for the balance owed...lawsuit..attaching bank accounts...garnishing...the works. If you like having a repo loan on your credit file, try a judgment. They don't come off for many, many years.

I'm not trying to scare you...just speaking from the errors of my youth. Auto lenders are ruthless when it comes to punishing those who burn them. Be careful how you proceed so as not to get ambushed.

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 11 of 16
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I second credit crusaders comments. My ex had a vehicle that I consigned on and he stopped paying for it.

I took the stance that your DGF is taking. Judgment plus garnishment is no fun.

Eventually I changed jobs and settled the account before they knew where my new job was.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 12 of 16
drkaje
Senior Contributor

A divorce decree wouldn't affect relationships with creditors. We see/read here (all too often) about cases where an Ex stopped paying or didn't comply with a divorce decree.

A judgment or garnishment would stink especially bad in a community property state.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 16
chasmith
Valued Contributor

Divorce decrees aren't binding on creditors.  So any joint account, cosigned account, debt incurred in a community property situation can be held against one spouse even if the decree says the other is responsible.  The only recourse is to sue the responsible spouse to enforce the decree, usually not going to work if the responsible spouse is broke, files BK, etc.

BK7 Filed 8/11/2009 Discharged 11/23/2009. Purchased new home 4/11/2012
Starting Score:11/16/2009 EQ 566 11/16/2009 TU 538
Interim Score: 12/27/2012 EQ 683 09/17/2012 EX (lender) 670 1/01/2013 TU 701
Current Score: 11/06/2013 EQ 708 11/06/2013 EX 702 11/16/2013 702 11/06/2013 TU 729
Goal Score: EQ 740 EX 740 TU 740
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 14 of 16
flowfaster
Established Contributor

Yes, we know she is responsible.  How long do creditors usually wait until they sue?  I have never had bad credit before so it's pretty new to us.  thanks

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 15 of 16
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

If it has already arrived on a credit report, you can bet she can be sued fir it. And with the exception of SOL guidelines, time is no object. They will sue you years after the fact.
In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.