cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create your own rewards categories credit card.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Create your own rewards categories credit card.

Huntington Voice does this as wel.l

People just don't care. Too much work.
Message 11 of 18
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh true, I forgot about that option.

The general public just isn't interested in this kind of thing. Plenty of people aren't even aware of their rewards program. Although Freedom is a popular card for example there are many who use it without even being cognizant of the 5% categories existing. So the number of people who are going to hop online and opt into categories is pretty low (unless they are interested in credit cards).

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex SimplyCash. Sort of. The 3% category allows you to choose from a list of several like shipping, restaurants, travel, etc.

Message 13 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh true, I forgot about that option.

The general public just isn't interested in this kind of thing. Most people aren't even aware of their rewards program. Although Freedom is a popular card for example there are many who use it without even being cognizant of the 5% categories existing. So the number of people who are going to hop online and opt into categories is pretty low (unless they are interested in credit cards).

Yes, since Cash Plus is still going, I assume there are enough people who sign up for it, and then use it for everything, thus making it profitable for US Bank.   And I guess similarly for cards like BCP.   Even with the AF, I would think maxing out groceries and using it for nothing else would cost Amex money

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting feedback thus far.  It seems there are a few options out there already.  I don't really understand the "too much work" comments though?  I don't get what the "work" is?  I just find that the majority of CB cards out there always seem to have something that I don't need.  Like restaurants for example.  I eat out once or twice a year, TOPS.  So when I see a restaurant category to me that's worthless and it would just be nice if the card could be tailored to what I specifically want.  I also think that people would like to know that their card is customized precisely to what matters most to them. 

Message 15 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Interesting feedback thus far.  It seems there are a few options out there already.  I don't really understand the "too much work" comments though?  I don't get what the "work" is?  I just find that the majority of CB cards out there always seem to have something that I don't need.  Like restaurants for example.  I eat out once or twice a year, TOPS.  So when I see a restaurant category to me that's worthless and it would just be nice if the card could be tailored to what I specifically want.  I also think that people would like to know that their card is customized precisely to what matters most to them. 

Tbe small amount of work is signing up every quarter, which seems to be the norm for cards with potentially revolving categories.   Then, for those with many cards, the work is remembering to use that card with the appropriate categories.  

I think that in general what you suggest (and the cards that approximate it) may fall into a gap:   those peoplr that care sufficiently about rewards will want to maximize rewards using several cards, potentially making the custom card unprofitable for the issuer by only using it in the enhanced reward categories,  And those that don't care (perhaps because spend is relatively small anyway) just want to use one or two cards for everything and can't be bothered to choose categories.

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I need something for drag racing, motors and such. That would be cool. Automotive category.

This is me. I need a card for car/motorcycle parts, WalMart,  and cell phone/utilities. And I need them all to give me at least 10% back! Smiley Happy

Lol. For sure. My cash back would be huge between my motorcycles, hot rods and my truck. 

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

Tbe small amount of work is signing up every quarter, which seems to be the norm for cards with potentially revolving categories.   Then, for those with many cards, the work is remembering to use that card with the appropriate categories.  

I think that in general what you suggest (and the cards that approximate it) may fall into a gap:   those peoplr that care sufficiently about rewards will want to maximize rewards using several cards, potentially making the custom card unprofitable for the issuer by only using it in the enhanced reward categories,  And those that don't care (perhaps because spend is relatively small anyway) just want to use one or two cards for everything and can't be bothered to choose categories.

I feel like a lot of people do this already... using cards like the Freedom or Discover for their revolving categories but using another card as their "daily driver."  I don't really see the type of card I'm suggesting being all too different than these two cards I've just mentioned.  Not giving cash back on "all other purchases" I thought would be a difference that could end up being a win-win for both the creditor and the customer (that doesn't plan on using it for non-custom-category purchases).

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.