Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creative ways to meet bonus spending requirements

tag
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Re: Creative ways to meet bonus spending requirements

I was approved on a Saturday night (Jan 30th) and they arrived on Monday, Feb 8th. 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 21 of 84
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@masscredit wrote:

I was approved on a Saturday night (Jan 30th) and they arrived on Monday, Feb 8th. 

I guess technically that's within their "7-10 day" threshold, but they certainly don't seem to get in a hurry!

At least we can say they're consistent... LOL.  Smiley Frustrated

Message 22 of 84
Anonymous
Not applicable

After reading OP and uncleB, the intentions were not MS. The warning of interpretation by capital one is whats important, not what anyone here thinks.
Message 23 of 84
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are definitely single guy, because if you had a girlfriend, you'd be coming up with creative ways not to spend so much on your CC's Smiley Happy

Message 24 of 84
masscredit
Valued Contributor

You got it! 😀  A cashier at the supermarket made a comment like that one time. She looked up while scanning everything and said "you must be single".  I guess the things that I buy show that.  My credit rebuild would have been easier if I didn't get a divorce. Now I've reached a point were I'm getting some good rewards cards. 

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 25 of 84
My_Fako
Established Contributor

I just ask my friends and family to let me pay bills, big purchases with my card and they give me the cash... That's the way I also earn a lot of cash back with Cap1 Qs. Also helps a lot,  when it comes to my increases.... 

Amex PRG NPSL I Chase Marriott $10k I Venture $15.3k I Amex BCE $10K I PNC 13K I Chase IHG $8.6k l Amazon $6k l Chase Hyatt 20k l US Bank Cash+ $13K I Barclays $12.6k I Venture $13k l Discover it $4.6k l Express Next $3.1k l Amex EverDay $15K l Cabelas 1k I Wayfair $17.1k I Walmart $8k l SG $9.8k l Target $3.6K I PP 2K l AU Shell Gas $900 opened in 1974 l Ex 704 Tu 698 Eq 667

Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.
Message 26 of 84
Aprile421
Regular Contributor

I like to pay for my car insurance for the year if it is 0% interest then break it up into 12 monthly payments.  Also I do a grocery list of things I need to stock up on anyways at the warehouse store. I stock up on papertowels, toilet paper, meats and staples I use all the time. It is nice to have a pantry full of stuff and again if it is 0% break it down into what you would normally spend monthly or PIF and put the money back in savings from the money you save not having to buy those things.

Have gifts that need purchased? I have also went ahead and done some early Christmas and Birthday shopping and when the time comes I am already ahead of the game. I don't spend anymore than I normally would on those gifts I just buy them ahead of time. 

If the place you live lets you pay with CC you can prepay your rent. I have not done thing with a CC but I do do this with my bank. I always pay 6 months rent at a time. Every month I put the money in an account as if I owed the rent normally and pay myself back and in 6 months I have the rent already paid for.

Message 27 of 84
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Aprile421 wrote:

I like to pay for my car insurance for the year if it is 0% interest then break it up into 12 monthly payments.  Also I do a grocery list of things I need to stock up on anyways at the warehouse store. I stock up on papertowels, toilet paper, meats and staples I use all the time. It is nice to have a pantry full of stuff and again if it is 0% break it down into what you would normally spend monthly or PIF and put the money back in savings from the money you save not having to buy those things.

Have gifts that need purchased? I have also went ahead and done some early Christmas and Birthday shopping and when the time comes I am already ahead of the game. I don't spend anymore than I normally would on those gifts I just buy them ahead of time. 

If the place you live lets you pay with CC you can prepay your rent. I have not done thing with a CC but I do do this with my bank. I always pay 6 months rent at a time. Every month I put the money in an account as if I owed the rent normally and pay myself back and in 6 months I have the rent already paid for.

I like your pay ahead ideas for car insurance and warehouse stores, but the paying rent with a CC idea is likely going to not be worth it.  The last place I lived at that accepted CC payments for rent charged the entire merchant fee to the tenant, so it was something like 4% as a "convenience fee" (the convenience fee to pay with a bank account was like $3 regardless of amount, in contrast).  Obviously, if the rewards and/or spend bonus outweighs that, then it may be okay, but over the long haul there isn't a rewards card out there that beats that percentage.

Message 28 of 84
Aprile421
Regular Contributor

Yeah like I said I haven't done my rent with a CC have thought about calling and seeing what if any the fees would be since I pay 6 months in advance anyways. Mine charges a dollar for a bank account so by paying twice a year I save myself $10 a year by not paying monthly. Not much but everything adds up in the end.

Message 29 of 84
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I just tried paying more on my electric than the bill was and it worked. it looks like this will be an option. 

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 30 of 84
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.