Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Breach

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Breach

I purchased some items through my company's online store but their stored (outside vendor) was subject of a credit breach.  My bank visa check card and my name was posted on the internet by some perpretators.  The internet site that the perpertators posted closed down and I was informed by my company that I need to get a new card which I got.  It's now 3 weeks later and I've applied for two credit cards and both were denied because of the reason "Unable to Verify Identify."  What does this mean?

Does the fact that both times I was denied for credit because they were unable to identify me mean that I'm subject of identity theft?

I have contacted my creditors to place a fraud alert. I continiously check all my credit reports and banking account and all appears to be fine.  I signed up for credit alerts in case anything changes in my credit.  What else do I need to do?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Breach

With the fraud alert creditors may simply be acting accordingly. You should contact those creditors who denied you for that reason and jump through some additional hoops and provide them with additional documentation/information they need.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

And that's the flip side to getting a fraud alert--you're not just going to be able to apply online and get credit without going through those extra hoops. That's what the fraud alert does--it says "some hacker is out there pretending to be me, so if "I" come sign up for anything, make darn sure it's really me." Hence the extra hoops.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good to see that is actually works. Sorry to hear about your trouble. You will need to do the extra work, but should be able to get what you want. Offer to send in a photocopy of your drivers license. That's what some banks made me do, however I think they just wanted to see what I looked like. J/k it was to verify my mailing address. They also made me send in UTL bills with my address. And I didn't even have a F/A on file. That should do it.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I appreciate the responses but let me clarify.  I did NOT file a credit fraud alert with Experian until AFTER I got the "Unable to Verify Identify" refusal from two credit card companies twice.   I've never been refused for this reason so I believe someone may be trying to steal or tampering with my identity after my visa check card breach.  The only information that was posted on the internet was my name and my Visa Check card number and three weeks later  I unable to get credit cards because of the failure to verify my identity.  I just filed for fraud alert yesterday so the identity alert is not from Experian but it happened prior to my filing for a fraud alert.

How did I get this unable to verify identify code from the credit card companies -- what would cause me to get to this level?  I have established credit and purchased a home 8 months ago.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.