cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Building Roadmap

tag
Kiproter

Credit Building Roadmap

New to the forums, so please go easy on me.  I'm currently 20 years old and have no credit history.  I applied and was approved for my first student credit card last month (BoA, $700), and not soon after, the Discover it ($1250).  I also want the Chase Freedom probably 6 or so months down the road, when I establish enough revolving credit for an approval from Chase.  

But what I'm wondering is, what do I do after getting approved for a Freedom?  Do I apply for more cards, or just keep the 3 I'm going to have for the foreseeable future?  I have a steady income and plan to pay each statement off in full every month, and the only reason I have credit cards is for cash back rewards and to build credit history.  If anybody could give me some insight, it would be great.  Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

Re: Credit Building Roadmap

@Kiproter wrote:

New to the forums, so please go easy on me.  I'm currently 20 years old and have no credit history.  I applied and was approved for my first student credit card last month (BoA, $700), and not soon after, the Discover it ($1250).  I also want the Chase Freedom probably 6 or so months down the road, when I establish enough revolving credit for an approval from Chase.  

But what I'm wondering is, what do I do after getting approved for a Freedom?  Do I apply for more cards, or just keep the 3 I'm going to have for the foreseeable future?  I have a steady income and plan to pay each statement off in full every month, and the only reason I have credit cards is for cash back rewards and to build credit history.  If anybody could give me some insight, it would be great.  Thanks!

Sounds like a reasonable plan to me!  And as far as more cards thats up to you, let the 3 you have grow for 6-12 months first and if you NEED more cards feel free to get the ones that interest you.  Some people on these boards have dozens and dozens of cards, and others (like myself) have 5-6.  Its really about what works for you.  You can use additional cards to pad your utilization, or just keep growing the credit lines on the cards you have...kinda depends on your plan for the future. 

Also as far as paying in full every month, be sure to leave one card report 1-9% utilization (balance) this will help your score climb.

Message 2 of 4
DevotionToU
Regular Contributor

Using the cards and paying them is the best thing you can do.  The waiting game is what everyone has to do eventually.  Letting the accounts age will improve your scores naturally. 

$18000 Discover IT / $6000 Chase Freedom / $5000 DCU Visa / $3900 Fifth Third / $2500 Capital One Quicksilver / $2000 AMEX Blue Cash Everyday / $500 Chase Slate
Message 3 of 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Good plan, you need 3 revolving bankcards to help maximize your score. After these cards the rest are up to you, I would suggest you only get cards you can actually used, there are many on this forum who have gotten caught up in the thrill of apping and then regretting having done so. The game of credit is a marathon not a race. Welcome to the board Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.