cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card - Account Closure vs Longest History Dilemma

tag
athar

Credit Card - Account Closure vs Longest History Dilemma

My Citicard has been my longest history card - since Nov 2000. The next oldest is February 2004.

However, back in 2009 - I received a change of terms from Citi (which would have raised my rate from 6.24 to significantly higher). So, I rejected those terms.

Henceforth, my A/C is poised to close in 2 months - Dec 2011. And, my attempts to find any way to keep this account have been unsuccessful at all.

But, now I am concerned about the fact - since it is oldest account on my report - it will fall off in due time with detrimental consequences on my credit history length.

Since, this also is the only card with balance - can I keep the balance (5k) on the card (even after it is closed) - and just keep making minimum payments, so that it can stay on report for 15+ years. Is this viable strategy?

Your guidance/advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
kjm79
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Card - Account Closure vs Longest History Dilemma

Even if the account is closed with a zero balance it will continue to report for at least 10 years from closing date.  It will be still be factored into your overall history as well as your AAoA for as long is it reports.  It will stay on your reports as your other accounts also ago.  The only thing closing the account will do will lower your available credit and that may skew your util.  If you close it with a balance and both the balance and limit continue to report this card will still be included in your util.  I don't see the need to pay the unnecessary interest on the balance to gain a few more years of age on the account.  If you can pay it off, do so.  One less bill.  Other option is it just pay it off and sock drawer it if there's no AF.  Keep it open until they close it for inactivity and gain a little more history on the account. 

Also, my DH had a Citi/Shell card opened in 1997 that was closed in 1999.  It is still reporting on 2/3 of his reports.  I also have an old jewelry account opened in 1998 and closed in 2001 that says it will continue to report until 2021.  So not all accounts just disappear after that 10 year mark. 

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 2 of 3
athar

Re: Credit Card - Account Closure vs Longest History Dilemma

@kjm79

Thanks so much for taking time and providing great advice. It is much appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.