Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Advice

tag
Lucrii

Credit Card Advice

Hi everyone,

Decided to finally de-lurk because I'm curious to hear everyone's advice...

I'm a soon to be engineering college grad, who will be moving away from home soon to start my new job. As a result, I'm looking at potentially getting a good rewards card for groceries and other everyday expenses.

I was debating whether to open an Amex Blue Cash regular/Preferred in my own name or ...

a) Whether there is another rewards card that would be a better fit? (Just no Discover card suggestions, please. Work will move me around for quite a while and I'm leery about that network being accepted everywhere I'll be assigned.)

b)If the Amex, would the non-fee one would be better to start off with since I don't know yet what my monthly expenses will be on my own? (I ran the math, and the break-even was close to my extravagant expense months)

c) Should I apply now when my living expenses are really low, or should I wait a while because I just got approved for another credit card last week? (see details) 

Some details.

Loans:

none

Credit Cards:

-I've been an AU on an AMEX Blue Cash with an over 20k limit for years

-I've had a CapOne Journey for over a year with a $750 limit (I had applied for it not realizing that the Amex had been counting towards my credit reports for years, otherwise I would have applied for another card. Live and learn.)

- I applied for and was approved for a Venture One card last week with a $7,500 limit. I mainly did this because the company I will be working for will have me traveling internationally, as well as a personal trip coming up that I wanted no foreign transaction fees for.

I've never been late on a payment and I always pay in full each month. Utilization for last month was 0.42% according to Credit Karma.

So any suggestions/advice?

TU: 781 EQ: 789 Ex: wish I knew
Goal: 800+ club
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Credit Card Advice

Think long term on this one.  In your situation (if  knew what  know now when I was ending college), I'd go ahead and apply now.  Worst case you get denied and you apply again later this year.  The possible inquiry penalty isn't that big of a deal, a third personal tradeline is typically a good thing, and the Amex BCE/P is an excellent card without a doubt for typical expenses.  If you want the tradeline, it's better to get it as soon as possible and get it out of the way... and it doesn't sound like in your situation you're going to be looking at a mortgage within the next year anyway.

There may be a better card for some expenses (rotating categories on the Chase Freedom, or if you eat out a lot, perhaps CSP, non-trivial approvals for any of the cards mentioned here).

I think you answered your own question as to which Amex revolver: unless your extravagent expense months are *every* month, you lose money on the BCP, so take the no AF BCE and when your expenses increase sometime in the future you can always switch (as long as it's more than a year in between, which it probably will be).

Congrats on the most excellent approval on your Venture card.

        
Message 2 of 17
FrugalRican
Blogger

OP, let me tell you as someone who had the same problem you did.

Because my expenses don't come out to be much on a monthly basis, I went with the BCE. I would have LOVED to have the BCP, but I live solo, for now... and just can't match the expenses to exceed the break even with the annual fee. It's just not happeniing. So I decided to go with the BCE until I could prove to myself that it would be worthwhile to get the BCP when the fee wouldn't matter.

After all, I don't want to make purchases just to cover the annual fee. Then it's just pointless.

You want to have your CC make money for YOU, not for the fee.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 3 of 17
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

I would be concerned about applying for an amex revolver without a stable income yet. They focus on income and assets heavily. Also the bcp is probably one of their harder revolvers to be approved for...I would wait or shoot for zync/green

“The real measure of your wealth is how much you’d be worth if you lost all your money.” ~Unknown
Citi Prestige World Elite Mastercard ($35,000.00), Merrill+ Visa Signature ($25,000.00), Amex BCP ($29,700.00), Amex Green (NPSL), Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard ($10,000.00), Chase Ink Business Bold (NPSL)
TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EX (Plus) - 777 (10/21/2013)
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 4 of 17
Lucrii

Hi,

Thank you for all the responses thus far. It seems like if I apply for an additional card it would be the Amex BCE. (Unless someone has another good rewards card to recommend?)

Out of curiousity espnjunkie, what would you define as stable income?

Also, I do have retirement and personal savings from my internships and co-op. I don't know how heavily that would feature.

Message 5 of 17
FrugalRican
Blogger

Stable income, whether it's your gross pay or net pay, whatever they ask for... as long as it is income from work, it counts.

I can't remember off-hand but I'm sure they ask for gross pay on the app.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 6 of 17
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

Stable income as in you are not a student anymore, are working in a full time job. Basically gross or net pay. Income and assets are important to amex moreso than just credit score

“The real measure of your wealth is how much you’d be worth if you lost all your money.” ~Unknown
Citi Prestige World Elite Mastercard ($35,000.00), Merrill+ Visa Signature ($25,000.00), Amex BCP ($29,700.00), Amex Green (NPSL), Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard ($10,000.00), Chase Ink Business Bold (NPSL)
TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 7 of 17
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

Plus you just got approved for a capital one card a week ago. Amex may not want to issue a revolver right after you got approved for another card, they can be inquiry sensitive

TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 8 of 17
Lucrii

Okay, I guess the point I'm confused on is that I currently work full time on a co-op in the 40k/yr range. Once I graduate and transition to my new job I'll be earning in the low 60k range. So from my view point, I have a stable income but I wasn't sure if that would meet someone else's criteria.

I agree that the fact I just got approved for another credit card may look bad, which is why one of the questions I was also asking was when would be a good time to apply?

Message 9 of 17
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

I would say garden for six months to a year and then apply. You just got approved for a card with a 7,500.00 limit so there is no real reason to apply for additional credit right now.

TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.