Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card App A Mistake?

tag
athensguy
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Card App A Mistake?

With citi you don't have to do the balance transfer on the app. I'm not sure whether you showing a transfer on the app will affect your CL. I doubt it will because they'll see your reported balances on your CR at least. It is easy to do a transfer from their online account pages after you get the card.
Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

rom, you said: "Everytime I think I'm getting closer to getting this all figured out, I get all confused again.

I said that to myself every day for 3 solid months, before I finally accepted the fact that for all the knowledge I've gained here, how little I really know.

After cleaning up my credit reports to an acceptable level(PFD 3 med collections, one charge off, and paying what cards I had down to a very respectable 15%-20% utils), I really just sat back, and did nothing for a while....letting the cr's cool off a little.

It was a matter of timing and luck That I received 2 pre-approvals, and was able to get a partial secured BoA card(the 99/500 one). One pre-approval was from WaMu(I had at the time an old Providian conversion WaMu, that I'd had for 7 years), and a Juniper Visa pre-app. I sat on both for 2 solid weeks while I was digging up every bit of info I could find on them. I was approved for all 3. The inquiries? I took the position that how would I ever know if I didn't apply? I took the risk...the gamble...and for me it was a big one. Someday I might post an excerpt from a speech from Nelson Mandella about RISK. It touched my soul, and I live by it.

My scores are not that stellar: TU-662; EXP-645; EQ-664. I have no collections, charge-offs, repos, BK's F.C.'s. I do have some very old items in PR that I wish would go away. I have a bunch of lates, all over 2 and 3 years old, except for 1. I guess that helps. But all are 30 day lates...no 60, 90, 120 etc.

Many here DO have very high scores, and the cream de la cream of cc's, with very high cl's. It it to their testament that they managed their credit much better than you or I have.

Learning to be patient in this credit insanity was the hardest thing for me to grasp. It's like what is said in the Credit Education section: getting higher scores is like loosing weight. It takes time to do it the right way, and cannot be rushed.

Good grief, I started rambling again. I'm so sorry.

Worry about the things you can control. Try not to worry about things that are not in your control. Smiley Happy

Message Edited by Sylviatob on 03-26-2008 10:29 PM
Message 12 of 18
rom828
Established Contributor

Sylvia, you're always the voice or reason!!  And I appreciate your taking the time to 'ramble' . 

I don't know why I'm so freaked out over the one app.  As you said, it's not the end of the world if I don;t get approved and/or lose a few points.

Now that I'm getting closer to being 'clean', I'm getting more anxious.

I currently have a PR that's a tx lien from 1998 that shows released in 2004.  I have my tax records back to 2002 readily available  and did not pay an old lien in 2004.  My old records are somewhere in my basement (just moved in Oct) so I'm trying to get help from the State on this.  I wasnt even aware of the lien til I saw it on my report in '05, and I had so much else going on I never tried to research it.

As you might remember, I have a Cap1 charge off (May 05)  that is unpaid.  It is past SOL but I do get letters from NCO about it and was going to deal with them but am waiting to do so.  My sister is paralegal for atty who specializes in credit issues and he's going to help me with my CO and dispute issues.

I also have Providian CO from 11-03 that is paid. It was never supposed to be shown as CO but in my igorance got nothing in writing, so it shows as paid after CO.  But the biggest problem with that one is that while I paid it from 03-05 it showed on reports as OK each month.  After it was paid off, EQ and EX started showing it as RF and with 25  90 day lates (for the months I was paying it off).  TU just shows it as paid CO and has no lates showing.  TU also shows Cap1 as charge off, no lates, with balance of $1934.  EQ and EX  have all kind of wrong dates now showing on the Cap1 , with (27) 90 day lates after charge off and some OK months in 2007.  I've tried to get these corrected but they just come back verified.

The attorney has had a lot of (successful) dealings with Cap 1 and Providian, and the CRs,  so I think he'll be a big help in getting these to report correctly.   He said sometimes they even remove the whole TL, which might hurt my history somewhat, but I dont think hurts as bad as having 50+   90 days showing on my report.

These 3 things are my only baddies left.  No lates what so ever on any other accounts; I have 10 in good standing, including my mortgage. 

I know I have to work on utilization, paying down 2 of my cards, but that's why I wanted the 0% as I could transfrer and get paid down faster.  Guess I just have to wait and see on that, and don't feel too encouraged since I didnt get instant approval.

Sorry for this to be so long.  thank you again for wise words and encouragement.  If you have any further thoughts or advice after reading this, I'm ready to 'listen'!!
FICOS: TU 732(05-16-16) EQ '08 739( 05-16-16) EX 737 (08-17-16)
Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ohhhhh I like to talk to be sure! LOLOL.

rom, it seems like you are doing everything in your power to improve your credit health. You are to be commended for this. You need to sit back, not get in a hurry to do things that will get your credit out of whack.

What Timothy said has been burned into my brain: credit repair first, then comes credit rebuilding(or something like that). Words of wisdom to live by.

You are like I was....in the twilight zone, in some kind of limbo. Now would be the time to continue educating yourself on the area of consumer credit, while you are waiting for improvement in your cr's and scores.

Have you poured over EVERY item in the menu bar, concentrating on "Credit Education" and "Support". They are chocked full of great information. Every thing you learn about consumer credit will help you. Read EVERY article in the "Credit In The News" section of the forum.

Education is enlightenment. Enlightenment is empowerment. Empowerment is strength, and you ARE as many of us are as well, becoming stronger persons, through the wonderful vehicle of this forum. Smiley Happy
Message 14 of 18
rom828
Established Contributor

I certainly count this forum, and the members like yourself, among my biggest blessings!!

I have indeed read articles in the credit edu and support, but I am certainly going to make a point of going back and reading more articles more thoroughly.

I guess with  credit management, there will never be a finite amount of education and edification needed........one will always need to be learning and garnering more info as it's all a fluid situation, ever changing, etc, not to mention the sheer volume of info!!

I will be so thankful when I'm done with repair, done with rebuilding and am in strictly 'management' mode!   I just want to get to the point where my credit rating is good to excellent, and that for all practical purposes, with maybe exception of mortgage, I am debt free, so that all this scoring, etc is not my focus,  and good, solid financial planning and management is!! 

Hopefully I can get these last three things addressed, albeit with the help of the attorney, so that I'll know I've done all I can do and however they end up is how they'll be until they're gone, which in the whole scheme of things is not that long, even if nothing gets corrected or deleted. (As it stands, deletion dates are:  Cap 1  09-10,  Prov  06-09,  PR  04-11).  I'm a whole lot further along than I was in 2003 when I started trying to take care of everything that tanked in 2000-2001.  I didnt even run a report or score (didnt know much about any of that) until 2005 and I  was in the 540s, so I've certainly improved.  I'm just sorry I didnt take full advantage of my fico membership and start reading the forum and articles back then!!   No doubt I'd be a further along now, but so be it.  It is what it is!!

Sylvia, thank you again....you bring such sanity to to my credit craziness!  I see your posts all over the forum and I know you're such a blessing to so many people!!  I hope you never grow tired of helping all of us !!

PS:  I'll let you know how the Citi app turns out!!

Message Edited by rom828 on 03-27-2008 12:42 PM
Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your kind words rom. Smiley Happy

I am just trying to give back what this forum has given to me. Glad to have helped a little bit.
Message 16 of 18
koz08
Established Member

Rom-

I applied for a Chase card this past August to pay for my wedding costs (2nd wedding, but who's counting Smiley Happy)  Anyway, I put a large balance transfer on the app, $25k, from my AMEX gold.  Anyway, they did not approve me right away, and I got a similar message (further review).  Well, after about a week, I got approved for a $25k card.  But here is the kicker - of the $25k transfer requested, they only accepted $24.5k.  I guess that extra $500 was too large.  Oh, and my credit should not have been much different as that was my only charge in a long while. 

So just hang in there and see what they come back with!
3-17-08 (FAKO): TU 768; EXP 783; EQ 750
3-24-08 (FICO): TU 737; EXP ???; EQ 710
Message 17 of 18
rom828
Established Contributor

Koz, thanks so much!  Maybe a glimmer of hope for me!!  I really appreciate the encouragement!

I know now I shouldn't have been so un-nerved by this one app, but it seem such a biggie to me as I make the climb back up!  Can't wait to be in the 700 club!!

Hopefully something positive will come of my more aggressive tackling of the disputes/errors so I won't have to tremble in fear with every app!!

Thanks again......and I'll update when I hear back!!

PS(I'm on my second marriage also......1st only lasted 3 years....the second one 28 so far!!  Sometimes it just takes doing it twice to get it right!!)
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.