Credit Card App Rejection...

tag
Leadberry
Established Contributor

Re: Credit Card App Rejection...

@RSCo wrote:

@Leadberry wrote:

@RSCo wrote:

How many people simply don't apply for any credit out of intense fear of rejection?  And, of those who get declined, how does that make you feel?  Does it make you feel "less than" or even worse, worthless? 

I really admire those people who can simply ask for what they want and then shake off any denials like water off of a ducks back.. 

I have always put myself in position where I was never even given an opportunity to be rejected and I think that makes me more depressed than simply putting myself out there..

I think when you've been working hard for weeks, months or years to improve your credit, the fear of rejection can be daunting; having your score dropped by an inquiry with nothing to show for it is nothing short of punishment.  I think the fear of rejection can be overcome with knowledge.  If you spend enough time reading these boards and the credit pulls database, you start to get a feel for what cards have what requirements.  It all comes down to your attitude and your confidence in the health of your credit.  I was recently approved for 3/5 lines of credit in an app spree.  The two denials bug me, but I know that with patience and effort I'll be able to attain them in time.  I believe it's healthy to accept and to strive to understand your failures, but to let them haunt your mind or keep you from reaching for your goals is no way to live.

I like that.. That's awesome.. Thank you for that perspective..

You mention something called credit pulls database, can you elaborate on that and where it is.. Thanks so much

I don't believe we're allowed to link to it here, but if you simply google "credit pulls database" it will come up.  Users submit CC application data:  whether they were approved or rejected, the name and/or issuer of the card, their credit scores/income/certain report info, and the CL and APR if they were approved.  You can search by name of card, score range, et cetera.  As you look over a pool of data as a whole, you can get a feel for under what circumstances one might be approved or rejected.

FICO Scores 800+
Message 11 of 26
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@starry1 wrote:

Nobody likes to feel rejected, but look at it this way, how can you get what you want without asking for it?  The feeling of fulfillment and victory is worth any chance of rejection.  

Agreed!!!

I hate it when the analyst is leading you on asking for so much info then comes back on the phone with some Bill Lumbergh talk

"Yea...................um.......................I'm gonna have to go ahead.....and decline this application.......................thanks!!!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 12 of 26
RSCo
Established Contributor

@Johnny_Favorite wrote:

In the beginning, I was rejected for everything - even secured cards. I was like **bleep**? How am I supposed to rebuild when I can't even put $200 on a secured card? Eventually I got in and was still rejected.

The first couple of times it stung for me. I felt totally worthless. I felt like a bum who couldn't be trusted with even meager amounts. Even worse I was told anyone could get a Macy's card so I went into Macy's and applied. As you can guess, I was declined, it was embarassing.

Once you get an approval, everything changes. I started to not care if I got denied once I got a few. After a while I started applying with a DO NOT CARE attitude and found myself getting approved for too many cards so I had to stop.

Great perspective and thank you for your candor..

$30,500$18,500NPSL$15,000$10,000$25,000$32,000
Message 13 of 26
Johnny_Favorite
Regular Contributor

Yeah, what sucks even more is when you call and you can tell immediately that they are going to deny you. They're not even listening to you and have already made up their mind in 2 seconds that you're not worthy. Makes you wanna holler. I want my denial sugar coated. Tell me I'm doing good and to re-apply in a few months. Don't be a total buzzkill about it. Lol.

Message 14 of 26
E150GT
Frequent Contributor

early last year I sent my info to a mortgage company for pre approval. I was pre approved for $55k. Sweet I thought. Then I realized I couldnt buy anything with that. Then I saw my future brother in law who makes about the same as me get approved for a $120k house. I figured it must have been my credit. I got bummed and quit looking for a house. A few months later my realtor friend told me he found a good deal and he wanted me to see it. I went and looked and it was ok but it was $95k. I told him I didnt have that kind of money and he said to meet him at this bank. Well I was scared and this was a meeting face to face instead of email like before. Well it turns out they were able to approve me for enough to put an offer in on the house. It was a confidence boost and I am glad I went. Fast forward to Novermber and I was approved for the green amex. Great! So I then applied for the wells fargo card I was "pre approved" for. DECLINED!! I called and let me tell you it was a laundry list of items. Too many inquiries, too many new accounts, high utilization, not enough time with my new mortgage, erratic bank deposits, and so on. I decided to after that to search for ways to not be declined again. Thats when I came here. Now I am working on all those things that denied me the card. I dont even want that card anymore. But I am glad I applied for it. 

CSP-$8700, Amex BCE-17.2k, Chase Freedom-$5700
Discover It-$6600, USAA MC-$5900 Ink Bold- $12k United Explorer-$5k
Message 15 of 26
Johnny_Favorite
Regular Contributor

The best feeling in the world is that first approval. I had been denied so many times, I was absolutely ready for them to tell me to get lost. It was with Discover. I got on the phone because it said to call them. The woman pulled my report up, then had to run a second bureau. She was looking through my file and I was ready for her to come back with the, "Ummm yeah at this time we cannot approve you" instead she said she was going to ask me a few questions. Then she didnt. She just said, "Hmmm on second thought I don't see any reason why we couldn't approve you, how does 2500 dollar limit sound?"

That was such a sweet victory - worth a thousand rejections.

Also I don't know about others but you tend to hold grudges. Like with Citi. Oh my god. They have rejected me even before I had to rebuild. I just seriously never want to do business with that godawful company.

Message 16 of 26
RSCo
Established Contributor

@Johnny_Favorite wrote:

The best feeling in the world is that first approval. I had been denied so many times, I was absolutely ready for them to tell me to get lost. It was with Discover. I got on the phone because it said to call them. The woman pulled my report up, then had to run a second bureau. She was looking through my file and I was ready for her to come back with the, "Ummm yeah at this time we cannot approve you" instead she said she was going to ask me a few questions. Then she didnt. She just said, "Hmmm on second thought I don't see any reason why we couldn't approve you, how does 2500 dollar limit sound?"

Also I don't know about others but you tend to hold grudges. Like with Citi. Oh my god. They have rejected me even before I had to rebuild. I just seriously never want to do business with that godawful company.

Awesome... Congrats..

Message 17 of 26
RSCo
Established Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@starry1 wrote:

Nobody likes to feel rejected, but look at it this way, how can you get what you want without asking for it?  The feeling of fulfillment and victory is worth any chance of rejection.  

Agreed!!!

I hate it when the analyst is leading you on asking for so much info then comes back on the phone with some Bill Lumbergh talk

"Yea...................um.......................I'm gonna have to go ahead.....and decline this application.......................thanks!!!!

Bwhahahaha... Wow, that's funny... Sweet..

Message 18 of 26
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

@Johnny_Favorite wrote:

Similiar story in my case. During the month of August 2012 i thought i was ready for primeville and made the mistake of applying with Chase, Citi, American Express, Wells Fargo, and Discover all in one day. Every single one denied me( i felt so low and rejected) EXCEPT Discover. At first i thought they had denied me also but then my cell rang and it was a CSR from Discover. The guy just had to ask me a few questions about my credit report and put me on hold and told me "congratulations, welcome to the Discover family. How does 1500 credit limit sound? I honestly almost broke down and cried like a little baby!...LOL. And thats why i am always going to keep Discover around and use it as much possible...they gave me a chance! I didnt get an auto CLI from them when my six months were up but i dont care...they were the only ones that came through for me so i am going to stick with them for a long time!

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 19 of 26
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

It sucks being denied. Chase has denied me multiple times for the CSP but im gonna keep bugging them until i get it. The way i see it, im young and all those inqs will be long gone by the time im 23 so i have nothing to worry about. 

Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.