cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card App Rejection...

Established Contributor

Credit Card App Rejection...

How many people simply don't apply for any credit out of intense fear of rejection?  And, of those who get declined, how does that make you feel?  Does it make you feel "less than" or even worse, worthless? 

 

I really admire those people who can simply ask for what they want and then shake off any denials like water off of a ducks back.. 

 

I have always put myself in position where I was never even given an opportunity to be rejected and I think that makes me more depressed than simply putting myself out there..

$30,500$18,500NPSL$15,000$10,000$25,000$32,000
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES
Frequent Contributor

Re: Credit Card App Rejection...

I dont like rejection, but in an online world who cares? All it means is that theres a brick wall and you need to decide how to get over it, or if you even want to get over it. I was declined for an amex revolver and it stung, but I am just working to get my reports looking the best and my payment history with my charge card established and then I will reapply. I am however anxious about possibly applying for a Chase card because they approved me for a low limit. I am not worried about being approved so much as I am getting a low limit again. I also dont really need it so I  have held back. Maybe one of these drunk nights I wll drapp and see what happens. 


CSP-$8700, Amex BCE-17.2k, Chase Freedom-$5700
Discover It-$6600, USAA MC-$5900 Ink Bold- $12k United Explorer-$5k
Message 2 of 26
Senior Contributor

Re: Credit Card App Rejection...

^^^^^What he said hahha

Banking with CBofTV, BofH, and BBVA. All three are free checking accounts.
First Premier CC $500
Chapter 7 BK Discharged on 7/11/16
Equifax, Experian, Transunion, and ChexSystem are FROZEN.
Gardening Since 10/25/2017
Message 3 of 26
Established Contributor

Re: Credit Card App Rejection...


E150GT wrote:

I dont like rejection, but in an online world who cares? All it means is that theres a brick wall and you need to decide how to get over it, or if you even want to get over it. I was declined for an amex revolver and it stung, but I am just working to get my reports looking the best and my payment history with my charge card established and then I will reapply. I am however anxious about possibly applying for a Chase card because they approved me for a low limit. I am not worried about being approved so much as I am getting a low limit again. I also dont really need it so I  have held back. Maybe one of these drunk nights I wll drapp and see what happens. 


Your attitude is awesome..  I'll try to take on some elements of your way of thinking.. Thanks..

 

$30,500$18,500NPSL$15,000$10,000$25,000$32,000
Message 4 of 26
Mega Contributor

Re: Credit Card App Rejection...

I used to feel that way until I crossed from sub-prime hell to primeville. Now if I get declined I already know why and just kick myself in the ass for the dumb app Smiley Very Happy

 

 




EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 26
Established Contributor

Re: Credit Card App Rejection...


RSCo wrote:

How many people simply don't apply for any credit out of intense fear of rejection?  And, of those who get declined, how does that make you feel?  Does it make you feel "less than" or even worse, worthless? 

 

I really admire those people who can simply ask for what they want and then shake off any denials like water off of a ducks back.. 

 

I have always put myself in position where I was never even given an opportunity to be rejected and I think that makes me more depressed than simply putting myself out there..


I think when you've been working hard for weeks, months or years to improve your credit, the fear of rejection can be daunting; having your score dropped by an inquiry with nothing to show for it is nothing short of punishment.  I think the fear of rejection can be overcome with knowledge.  If you spend enough time reading these boards and the credit pulls database, you start to get a feel for which cards have what requirements.  It all comes down to your attitude and your confidence in the health of your credit.  I was recently approved for 3/5 lines of credit in an app spree.  The two denials bug me, but I know that with patience and effort I'll be able to attain them in time.  I believe it's healthy to accept and to strive to understand your failures, but to let them haunt your mind or keep you from reaching for your goals is no way to live.

   
FICO Scores 800+
Message 6 of 26
Established Contributor

Re: Credit Card App Rejection...


LS2982 wrote:

I used to feel that way until I crossed from sub-prime hell to primeville. Now if I get declined I already know why and just kick myself in the ass for the dumb app Smiley Very Happy

 

 


LOL... yup.. yup...  I hear ya!

 

$30,500$18,500NPSL$15,000$10,000$25,000$32,000
Message 7 of 26
Established Contributor

Re: Credit Card App Rejection...


Leadberry wrote:

RSCo wrote:

How many people simply don't apply for any credit out of intense fear of rejection?  And, of those who get declined, how does that make you feel?  Does it make you feel "less than" or even worse, worthless? 

 

I really admire those people who can simply ask for what they want and then shake off any denials like water off of a ducks back.. 

 

I have always put myself in position where I was never even given an opportunity to be rejected and I think that makes me more depressed than simply putting myself out there..


I think when you've been working hard for weeks, months or years to improve your credit, the fear of rejection can be daunting; having your score dropped by an inquiry with nothing to show for it is nothing short of punishment.  I think the fear of rejection can be overcome with knowledge.  If you spend enough time reading these boards and the credit pulls database, you start to get a feel for what cards have what requirements.  It all comes down to your attitude and your confidence in the health of your credit.  I was recently approved for 3/5 lines of credit in an app spree.  The two denials bug me, but I know that with patience and effort I'll be able to attain them in time.  I believe it's healthy to accept and to strive to understand your failures, but to let them haunt your mind or keep you from reaching for your goals is no way to live.


I like that.. That's awesome.. Thank you for that perspective..

 

You mention something called credit pulls database, can you elaborate on that and where it is.. Thanks so much

 

$30,500$18,500NPSL$15,000$10,000$25,000$32,000
Message 8 of 26
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Card App Rejection...

Nobody likes to feel rejected, but look at it this way, how can you get what you want without asking for it?  The feeling of fulfillment and victory is worth any chance of rejection.  


Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 9 of 26
Regular Contributor

Re: Credit Card App Rejection...

In the beginning, I was rejected for everything - even secured cards. I was like **bleep**? How am I supposed to rebuild when I can't even put $200 on a secured card? Eventually I got in and was still rejected.

 

The first couple of times it stung for me. I felt totally worthless. I felt like a bum who couldn't be trusted with even meager amounts. Even worse I was told anyone could get a Macy's card so I went into Macy's and applied. As you can guess, I was declined, it was embarassing.

 

Once you get an approval, everything changes. I started to not care if I got denied once I got a few. After a while I started applying with a DO NOT CARE attitude and found myself getting approved for too many cards so I had to stop.

 

Like the person above I also went through the phase where I knew I shouldn't have app'd and did it anyway to press my luck. Got rejected by BOFA and had to deal with a snotty, snooty CSR rep tell me why I wasn't approved. Believe me, if you think a denial online makes you upset, listening to some 19 year old college kid tell you your accts are too new and they need to see some history will really chop your hide.




Message 10 of 26