Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Application Advice

tag
Kinglord
Regular Contributor

Re: Credit Card Application Advice

I work in customer service so I'll pull the charm card.

Waiting on Discover and US Bank regarding my secured transfer to unsecured. Was also approved for $2200 Amazon store credit!

Regardless of any decisions, I'm in the garden! Thank yutfico friends!

Message 21 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Card Application Advice

@Kevin86475391 wrote:

@Kinglord wrote:
I already have Barclaycard. I applied for Discover It and I got the sad 5-7 decision. I'm assuming this is a decline. Can anyone offer advice on phone skills to call and ask for a reconsider?

I'd recommend focusing on being helpful, friendly, and enthusiastic.

Since you haven't actually been denied yet, I'd start with something like, "I was just calling to see if I could get that approved sooner, or if there's any additional information you need from me to help with your decision." Try to be confident but not cocky or pushy. Ask the analyst how they're doing and be pleasant and friendly.

Be prepared to answer their questions and be truthful and forthright, but frame things in a positive light. Emphasize how excited you are about the card and how you've heard good things about it, etc. Be prepared to answer what you want to use the card for. If they ask anything about why your scores aren't higher or about any past trouble you have may have had, mention how you've recently gotten serious about establishing good credit and responsible financial behavior. Reassure them that you're able to pay your bills on time every month and that you take your credit card accounts very seriously.

Mostly just that type of thing. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

I agree with Kevin. I got that message from Barclay when I applied for the Ring, called an hour later, and said I was checking on the status of the application. They said they had to ask some identity verification questions. Once I answered the identity verification questions, they approved me just like that. 

Message 22 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.