Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
New Visitor

Credit Card Application Timing

'm a recent college graduate and am looking to open a few credit cards to start building a good credit score. Here's where I am now:

-Had an AMEX student card with $2,000 CL for about a year now. I plan on supplying them with updated income figures and requesting to convert the card into a regular AMEX card with a higher limit (probably Blue Sky).
-Have a few student loans with a fairly low total balance.
-No late payments, collections, etc.

I plan on opening a few new credit lines pretty soon:

-Rewards Visa or MC, probably from Citi (for places where AMEX isn't accepted)
-Capital One card (to use when traveling--no international fee)
-Overdraft line of credit for my checking account

Any advice on how to time all of this? It seems like a bad idea to apply for everything at once, given the current economic situation. Right now, I am thinking of converting the AMEX card and opening one credit card now, then applying for the other credit card and line of credit at the end of the area. However, the drawback of this is I will spread out the inquiries over the year, which might hurt my credit in the short term.
Regular Contributor

Re: Credit Card Application Timing

[ Edited ]
New Contributor

Re: Credit Card Application Timing

My GF has an overdraft line of credit through her CU for her checking account - I'm not 100% sure, but she says it didn't hit her very hard at all.  I doubt that one will be hard to get, especially with established bank history.

On a side note, I'm also thinking of apping a few cards once I get a full time job in a few months.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --
5/31/09 - 736 - EQ

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.