Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Approval Regrets?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Card Approval Regrets?

I went a bit shopping cart trick happy the other day and stupidly didn't realize an overlap in two of the cards.  They can both be used at each other's online store.

If I do NOT activate one of them, will it be as if it doesn't exist?  I don't need both showing up on my credit report.

Also, same with Fingerhut... now I do not want it.  Can I just not activate the card, and it will therefore not exist?

Thanks so much!

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Card Approval Regrets?

Doesn't matter if you don't activate it. It will still be reported to the CRAs.

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine showed up even before activation.

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with all of the above.  

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rats.  Smiley Sad

Thank you for the quick responses. 

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

i assume all the cards we get thru shopping cart trick will lower the AAoA as well?
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
i assume all the cards we get thru shopping cart trick will lower the AAoA as well?

You assume correctly.

Message 7 of 14
uswala
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Doesn't matter if you don't activate it. It will still be reported to the CRAs.

+1

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

They all mess with AAoA, unfortunately.

With SCT, at least they were soft pulls so you didn't take an inquiry hit.  They'll still report but you don't have to use them.

With Fingerhut, it is a hard pull so you already took the hit but again, you don't have to use it.  It'll report anyway so it's a 0% utilization account, and if you want to close it you can.  If you choose to, my recommendation is to go through ebates first for the 2% back (to counter some of the overpriced-ness) and shop clearance and the departments with free shipping.  I bought some cologne I like for a little less than I would have paid locally through Fingerhut (currently health and beauty is in the free shipping category, too).  Heck yes I will find ways to not overspend.

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the input and advice everyone!

I spoke with Fingerhut, and since I am still in the steps program, they claim they will go ahead and not issue me an actual Fingerhut credit card.  We'll see if that's true.  But I am hopeful!

Luckily since I'm starting from nothing, I don't have an AAoA to worry about.  That was actually a reason why I proceeded with the SCT cards! My oldest card is 5 weeks old. 

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.