cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Balances

tag
buttercup1

Credit Card Balances

Just wondering how soon to pay off small balances on cc's. Should you pay it off as soon as that transaction posts or wait a few days? Just wanting to know how better to boost my credit score.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
dodfire
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Card Balances

The CRA likes to see "some" usage of your card or cards. 

What the score difference would be...???

I will wait to see if someone else has an answer.

*8/10/13
Message 2 of 4
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@buttercup1 wrote:

Just wondering how soon to pay off small balances on cc's. Should you pay it off as soon as that transaction posts or wait a few days? Just wanting to know how better to boost my credit score.

You can pay it off as soon as it posts. It makes no difference when you pay as long as you pay before the statement closing date. That is when it reports to the CRA's. If you have multiple cards. 1 cards needs a 1-9% balance reporting and the others at $0.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 4
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Here's a recent thread that answers some really good questions about credit card usage. Inside my last post is a link to another thread, which then links to multiple other threads. Basically, if you just keep clicking the links you can learn a lot about this thing we call "utilization".

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Help-understanding-credit-cards-amp-the-best-way-to-use...

However, at the end of the day the best way to improve your score is continue paying your bills on time and letting your accounts age. If you have further strategy questions, feel free to post them!

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.