Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Balances???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Card Balances???

Im not sure which is the best method should i use...... i have a chase credit card wtih a $1000 limit currently the bal is $885 and i have a old navy store card limit $290 current bal is $84, i have the funds to pay them both completely off bfore the accounts cycle this month. But im trying to buy a home i have repaired my credit to the best of ability having had mutiple collections accounts removed, i have one charge off account bal $0 paid as a settlement back in december 09, an auto loan which is current and has been since june 2009 (i did have a couple of 30 days lates back in jan thru may 2009, none since then), a student loan that's deffered, and two collections accounts that are paid just waiting to be updated and taken off per the CA. I keep hearing that bringing down my balances on my credit card is the fastest way to boost scores, so should i pay them both completely down to $0 now or over a period of like 2 to 3 months or should i leave some on both of them or one of them? Please help thanks

Scores as of 3/8- TU: 564 and EQ: 561

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Card Balances???

Pay them both off right now, if the cards are open accounts.  The high utilization on those cards is holding down your score.

And congrats on the work you've accomplished so far!

Welcome to the forums, EBDHLOVE!

Edited to clarify.

Message Edited by Uborrow-Upay on 03-10-2010 10:15 AM
Message 2 of 4
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Yep, if you play with the myFICO simulator, it will lead you to believe that it's better to drag out your paydown, but that's not correct. It's just combining the payoff with X months of clean history.

Great work so far!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pay off the small card. Leave $50 on the $1000 card. 0-9% utl on 1/2- your accounts will land a better score than 0 balance across the board.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.