Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Bootcamp

tag
Dawn
Established Contributor

Credit Card Bootcamp

As if we didn't have enough "temptations" out there ... the merchants are out to get us!  Smiley Surprised

An inside source has informed us that management at a local department store is requiring those sales associates who do not meet their "credit card application quota" to attend "credit card boot camp" to encourage them to rethink the error of their ways.

DD#1 used to work there and said they previously required the employees (who weren't meeting credit app quotas)  to rotate being stationed at the store entrance and try to snag shoppers on their way into the store.  Now ... it's a several hour special training session they have to attend so they can be taught how to twist the arm of those who are not strong enough to resist their efforts.  One associate was so desperate to meet her quota, that knowing DD's B/F would get turned down before they ever submitted the application, she begged, pleaded and promised her first born child to him if he would PLEASE PLEASE just app for her.  Smiley Wink

Major shopping season is upon us ... step into those stores knowing what you want and don't want.  Don't let 'em talk you into something you will regret later.  Smiley Very Happy

Message Edited by denbar2003 on 11-10-2007 07:53 AM
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Credit Card Bootcamp

Wow, another reason to shop online! Hope the BF realized he would pick up an inq...
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 8
Dawn
Established Contributor

The B/F respectfully declined app'ing.  Smiley Very Happy

And ... I'm ready to shop online for more reasons than that.  Traffic will become HORRIBLE.  Moods and attitudes of shoppers (and sales associates) become intolerable.

AND ... if I hang onto the Chase Freedom World CCs (DHs and mine), they have a Rewards Plus program that gives additional bonus rewards for shopping online with MANY merchants I shop online with anyway.  There's even one online merchant (giftcertificates.com) that sells gift cards to many places that I would tend to get gift cards for.  Extra 5% for gift cards?!?  Extra rewards for things you were gonna do anyway?!?   This could get out of control fast!  Smiley Surprised

Message Edited by denbar2003 on 11-10-2007 07:50 AM

Message Edited by denbar2003 on 11-10-2007 07:51 AM
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been able to escape these folks by telling them, "I already have the card."

Maybe I could start saying now, "My name is ashabbir1, I already have the card."

Smiley Very Happy
Message 4 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

PenguinGeek wrote: Maybe I could start saying now, "My name is ashabbir1, I already have the card." Smiley Very Happy
Smiley Very Happy Oh, yeah...
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Shopping online isn't any better - I was on HSN and using a MC for purchase and up came the screen "YOU ARE PRE-APPROVED FOR AN HSN CARD".... okay, I shop there alot and for years (and always in hundreds of dollars purchases, but primarily 'fexpay' items) so that could have been why - but it was tempting to keep it off the MC (and BTW they also have a co-brand with Visa from WAMU - don't know if they automatically convert after a period of time).
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I stopped in the local Wal-Mart today, and there was a notice at the register that anyone applying for "Express Credit" (does anyone know what that is?) would get their names put in a drawing for an HDTV.  Assuming it was for the HSBC and I'd get turned down for already having one, I demurred.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I have been able to escape these folks by telling them, "I already have the card."

Maybe I could start saying now, "My name is ashabbir1, I already have the card."

Smiley Very Happy

I'm going to name drop. Maybe I'll get special treatment for being ashabbir1.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.