Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Car Downpayment

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Card Car Downpayment

@Anonymous wrote:

So yesterday I spent several hours negotiating the price on a new 2015 Subaru. I ended up with everything I wanted at a price better than I expected to be able to get. When they asked for a debit card to put the $5k downpayment on, I asked if they would take my Amex PRG. They took it with no issues at all. Honestly I was quite surprised they would take a credit card, anyone else have any similar experience with any car?

Credit is a form of payment. Why wouldn't they take it? Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 30
ksantangelo23
Frequent Contributor

Swipe fees!

AMEX Hilton Ascend: $55,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve: $30,000 | PNC Points: $17,500 | AMEX BCE (AU): $18,000 | AMEX BCP: $15,000 | US Bank Cash+ $15,000 | AMEX Business Prime: $14,000 | AMEX SimplyCash: $12,000 | Capital One QS: $13,500 | Chase Business Ink: $12,000 | PNC Everyday (AU): $12,000 | JCPenny Store Card: $10,500 | Chase Slate: $9,400 | Capital One QS: $6,500 | (2nd) US Bank Cash+ (2nd): $7,500 | Discover IT: $6,000 | Chase Freedom: $3,500 | Auto Lease: $0/$21,000 | Auto Loan: $0/$18,000 |

TU: 818 EX: 809 EQ: 801

Message 12 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ksantangelo23 wrote:

Swipe fees!

Are swipe fees worth losing the sale? "I'll walk out RIGHT NOW!"

Message 13 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your car OP and thanks for sharing Smiley Very Happy Didn't think a down payment that large could be put on a credit card but good to know.

Wasn't aware of this program so thanks for the link ksantangelo. Might come in handy next year.
Message 14 of 30
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@ksantangelo23 wrote:

Swipe fees!

"but sir, isn't there another way you can pay?" "NO! GIVE ME AA MILES OR GIVE ME ANOTHER CAR DEALER" - and just storm out.

It's perfect.

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 15 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@ksantangelo23 wrote:

Swipe fees!

"but sir, isn't there another way you can pay?" "NO! GIVE ME AA MILES OR GIVE ME ANOTHER CAR DEALER" - and just storm out.

It's perfect.

"Throw in the sunroof and nav and i'll bring a checkbook"

Message 16 of 30
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@ksantangelo23 wrote:

Swipe fees!

It's perfect.

"And by throw in nav, I want OnStar (or whatever brand's equivalent) paid for life of car"

"So....AMEX?"

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 17 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@ksantangelo23 wrote:

Swipe fees!

It's perfect.

"And by throw in nav, I want OnStar (or whatever brand's equivalent) paid for life of car"

"So....AMEX?"

This. Totally this.

Message 18 of 30
Sharingan
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So yesterday I spent several hours negotiating the price on a new 2015 Subaru. I ended up with everything I wanted at a price better than I expected to be able to get. When they asked for a debit card to put the $5k downpayment on, I asked if they would take my Amex PRG. They took it with no issues at all. Honestly I was quite surprised they would take a credit card, anyone else have any similar experience with any car?

I'd be surprised too if they willingly charged that much on credit - that's a hefty downpayment on credit. I've purchased several cars in the past few years; and by gauging the dealer's willingness to put a large down payment on a credit card, you can determine if you've truly made a great deal after negotiations. If a dealership is more than willing to charge a big down payment, chances are they are making a healthy profit off the sale. That's not to say you didn't get a great deal, I'm just providing my experience, as requested. If the profit margin is razor thin on the deal, a swipe fee on a $3000+ downpayment should be a deal breaker for them. I always love the "I'm losing money on this sale" line that they pull. 

Message 19 of 30
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@Sharingan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd be surprised too if they willingly charged that much on credit - that's a hefty downpayment on credit. I've purchased several cars in the past few years; and by gauging the dealer's willingness to put a large down payment on a credit card, you can determine if you've truly made a great deal after negotiations. If a dealership is more than willing to charge a big down payment, chances are they are making a healthy profit off the sale. That's not to say you didn't get a great deal, I'm just providing my experience, as requested. If the profit margin is razor thin on the deal, a swipe fee on a $3000+ downpayment should be a deal breaker for them. I always love the "I'm losing money on this sale" line that they pull. 

@5k swiped @ say...2.5% is only 125....not sure how that's a real dealbreaker

Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.