Credit Card Car Downpayment

tag
Sharingan
Established Contributor

Re: Credit Card Car Downpayment

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@Sharingan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So yesterday I spent several hours negotiating the price on a new 2015 Subaru. I ended up with everything I wanted at a price better than I expected to be able to get. When they asked for a debit card to put the $5k downpayment on, I asked if they would take my Amex PRG. They took it with no issues at all. Honestly I was quite surprised they would take a credit card, anyone else have any similar experience with any car?

I'd be surprised too if they willingly charged that much on credit - that's a hefty downpayment on credit. I've purchased several cars in the past few years; and by gauging the dealer's willingness to put a large down payment on a credit card, you can determine if you've truly made a great deal after negotiations. If a dealership is more than willing to charge a big down payment, chances are they are making a healthy profit off the sale. That's not to say you didn't get a great deal, I'm just providing my experience, as requested. If the profit margin is razor thin on the deal, a swipe fee on a $3000+ downpayment should be a deal breaker for them. I always love the "I'm losing money on this sale" line that they pull. 

@5k swiped @ say...2.5% is only 125....not sure how that's a real dealbreaker

As I said, if it's a razor thin margin, they won't want to pay it. I've been told that I would have to pay the fee after 1-2k. Not sure why that would be hard to imagine ... there's still a number of merchants around the world that don't take credit period. 2.5% of their items would only be a few cents to dollars, and apparently that's enough of an issue to not accept any cards period... 

Message 21 of 30
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@Sharingan wrote:

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@Sharingan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So yesterday I spent several hours negotiating the price on a new 2015 Subaru. I ended up with everything I wanted at a price better than I expected to be able to get. When they asked for a debit card to put the $5k downpayment on, I asked if they would take my Amex PRG. They took it with no issues at all. Honestly I was quite surprised they would take a credit card, anyone else have any similar experience with any car?

I'd be surprised too if they willingly charged that much on credit - that's a hefty downpayment on credit. I've purchased several cars in the past few years; and by gauging the dealer's willingness to put a large down payment on a credit card, you can determine if you've truly made a great deal after negotiations. If a dealership is more than willing to charge a big down payment, chances are they are making a healthy profit off the sale. That's not to say you didn't get a great deal, I'm just providing my experience, as requested. If the profit margin is razor thin on the deal, a swipe fee on a $3000+ downpayment should be a deal breaker for them. I always love the "I'm losing money on this sale" line that they pull. 

As I said, if it's a razor thin margin, they won't want to pay it. I've been told that I would have to pay the fee after 1-2k. Not sure why that would be hard to imagine ... there's still a number of merchants around the world that don't take credit period. 2.5% of their items would only be a few cents to dollars, and apparently that's enough of an issue to not accept any cards period... 

That is true, but it's also true that I'm not alone in not shopping these merchants very often - especially if im not familiar with their product. It's one thing if I go to a reputable company and use cash. It's different to me if I use cash in a small merchant. - if something goes wrong I have no recourse. So I just avoid most of those merchants. Usually if they don't take CC, I don't use them.

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 22 of 30
andre181
Established Contributor

Margins on brand new cars are generally pretty slim. Used cars are much better in terms of profit for the dealer.

But most dealers are willing to accept a down payment on a card. I put my down payment for my last two cars on cards. What I've done both times is apply for a new card with a signup bonus and then go buy my car and use the down payment to meet the spend requirements for the sign up bonus.

My last car earned me 50k Southwest RR points Smiley Tongue

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 23 of 30
Sharingan
Established Contributor

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@Sharingan wrote:

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@Sharingan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That is true, but it's also true that I'm not alone in not shopping these merchants very often - especially if im not familiar with their product. It's one thing if I go to a reputable company and use cash. It's different to me if I use cash in a small merchant. - if something goes wrong I have no recourse. So I just avoid most of those merchants. Usually if they don't take CC, I don't use them.

No, you are certainly not alone in that regard. In this arena though, I have been met with the same reluctance to use credit for a large downpayment by the time I get to the finance manager no matter if it's Honda, Lexus, or Acura in my experience. I gladly put what I can on credit (usually 1-3k) and get on my way. They always win in the end anyway, whether it's holdbacks or rebates.

I'm sure there are other concerns for the dealer with credit transactions than just swipe fees as well.

Message 24 of 30
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@Sharingan wrote:

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@Sharingan wrote:

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@Sharingan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

No, you are certainly not alone in that regard. In this arena though, I have been met with the same reluctance to use credit for a large downpayment by the time I get to the finance manager no matter if it's Honda, Lexus, or Acura in my experience. I gladly put what I can on credit (usually 1-3k) and get on my way. They always win in the end anyway, whether it's holdbacks or rebates.

I'm sure there are other concerns for the dealer with credit transactions than just swipe fees as well.

That is true. But I wonder...the website listed above actually has dealers where you can do the full purchase price (as mentioned earlier, as well)...I'm curious to know if one typically would have to call and verify - could you imagine if that card used frauduently?! Who eats the 40k charge at that point? And, where's the car? LOL

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 25 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sharingan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You realize the swipe fee on a $3,000 downpayment is all of approximately $60-90. If that's a deal breaker then i'm buying from the wrong dealer.

Message 26 of 30
Sharingan
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Sharingan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You realize the swipe fee on a $3,000 downpayment is all of approximately $60-90. If that's a deal breaker then i'm buying from the wrong dealer.

You can't force them to do something they don't want to do. If 2000 extra points is worth footing the fee, then that option has been available to me in the back room.

I'm a very heavy American Express user. I surely don't give retailers a hard time if they choose not to accept it and pay the small premium over MasterCard/Visa. It would be pennies... but apparently that's enough of a loss for them. I'm not going to pass up a car well below invoice just because they refuse to put more than $3000 on a credit card.  

Message 27 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sharingan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Sharingan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You can't force them to do something they don't want to do. If 2000 extra points is worth footing the fee, then that option has been available to me in the back room.

I'm a very heavy American Express user. I surely don't give retailers a hard time if they choose not to accept it and pay the small premium over MasterCard/Visa. It would be pennies... but apparently that's enough of a loss for them. I'm not going to pass up a car well below invoice just because they refuse to put more than $3000 on a credit card.  

I haven't ran into a dealer yet that has had a problem with a $5,000 down payment with CC. Smiley Happy

Message 28 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Sharingan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Sharingan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I haven't ran into a dealer yet that has had a problem with a $5,000 down payment with CC. Smiley Happy

Car dealers do not have the upper hand in negotiations ever. Remember that and you will always get a great deal and your way. 

Message 29 of 30
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Sharingan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Sharingan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Car dealers do not have the upper hand in negotiations ever. Remember that and you will always get a great deal and your way. 

Or rather, you will think you got a great deal!    From time to time, e.g. at the end of the month and they need one more sale to reach the next tier of manufacturer incentives, yes, it might be worth them giving a good pirce, but most of the time they are happy with the "great deal: they give.   In the same way the airlines don't really mind when you get that 10c per point trip when they couldn't sell the seat anyway.....

Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.