Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Cheapness

tag
ArisGreek
Frequent Contributor

Credit Card Cheapness

What's going on with credit cards lately? My sister got her new Cap One card in the mail since she was up for renewal and it is very flimsy.  I got my Thank You Preferred card in the mail a few weeks ago and it's like this papery-multifiber consistency. It doesn't even feel like plastic anymore.  These new cards look very cheap.

===========
TU: 745(TU98) | EQ: 774 | EX: ? | NO BADDIES!
What's in my wallet? AMEX Platinum, United Presidential Plus World Elite MC, AMEX JetBlue, Nordstrom Visa Sig, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, AMEX Zync, Citi AAdvantage Plat Select Visa, Banana Republic, Home Depot
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Credit Card Cheapness

Outsourcing, its uber-cheap, just like most banks and CCC's.Smiley Very Happy

Message 2 of 10
DI
Super Contributor

Cheaper cards to offset the lost revenue inflicted by the CC Act. 

Message 3 of 10
ArisGreek
Frequent Contributor

Everything seems to be pointing to the CC Act. Smiley Wink

===========
TU: 745(TU98) | EQ: 774 | EX: ? | NO BADDIES!
What's in my wallet? AMEX Platinum, United Presidential Plus World Elite MC, AMEX JetBlue, Nordstrom Visa Sig, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, AMEX Zync, Citi AAdvantage Plat Select Visa, Banana Republic, Home Depot
Message 4 of 10
DI
Super Contributor

@ArisGreek wrote:

Consumers blame the bank and when you call the bank they blame the government. 

Message 5 of 10
vish1
Valued Contributor

@DI wrote:

@ArisGreek wrote:

Consumers blame the bank and when you call the bank they blame the government. 

Just another data point, my renewed DL in MA looks exactly the same cheap plastic as those cards now. Older one was so nice and strong.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 6 of 10
jefftca925
Established Contributor

I did a PC on an old Wamu MC to a Freedom card... the new card looks cheesy.  Looks a 5 year-old designed it ...LOL!!  I liked the old design

CCs: Chase Freedom VS 12.9k, CSP VISA Sg 13k, BofA Amex 24.5k, Discover 12.5k, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sg 17k, Macy's Amex 8k/1.5k, Gap Visa 10k, Best Buy 11.1k, Citi TY MC 10.8k, Citi AA Amex 6k, Nordstrom VS 10k, Costco Amex 12k, BofA CR VS 5k, Amex BCP 13.5k, Amex ED 5k, Sears MC 9k, HD 7k, Target 600, Amazon 7k, US Bank MC 15k, US Airways MC 8k, NFL Visa 4k, Patelco Visa 10k, Penfed PR VS 44.6k, Chase Hyatt VS 8k, Citi Simplicity 13.3k, PayPal MC 7.5k, BBVA Visa 4k, WF VS 14k, FNBO Amex 14.1k, OCCU VISA 15k, TR Visa Sg 16.3k, C1 QS Visa 11k, FRN MC 15k, HSN 4k, Saks WEMC 10k/4k, Chase Ink 18k, Arrival WEMC 10k, Ebates VS 8k, Orbitz VS 12k, NASA V 30k, USBk FP VS 21.5k, DC 30k, VirgAm 15k, Sams MC 15k, Amex Bz Gold, Amex SC 10k, BofW Bz MC 18k
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

My BB store card is the most flimsy, cheap card in my wallet.  It's about half as thick as my other cards.  And what's up with my Cap1 MTV card with the matte finish?? Just weird.

Message 8 of 10
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

About blamming the government, that usually starts with consumer. For example overdraft law wouldn't exist had $42 coffee story not exist.

I agree with others. My Cap 1 card is the worst plastic I ever had. You can bend it to a point it'll remain that way. The best one is my Charles Schwab Check Card. It is quite thick. Citi Forward is also not bad.

Message 9 of 10
tobey
Contributor

Seems it just depends on how much the bank wanted to spring for on plastic. I've got cards manufactured by VCT, CPI and Gemalto in several different gauges, so it's not a manufacturer issue. That's what I like about AMEX, they still issue nice thick cards. Pretty sure I could knock someone unconscious with my AMEX if I had to...

Starting Score: 737
Current Score: 777
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.