Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Checking Account Number

tag
JamP
Valued Contributor

Credit Card Checking Account Number

I researched this a little bit but figured it would be answered here faster as I am sure some of you had or are having the same issue.

I would like to join Planet Fitness but they only accept a checking account. Fine print for cancellation has me worried.

They won't even let me pay the whole thing up front. I am a rewards addict so I get cash back rewards on everything.

So has anyone come across a credit card that can be used as a checking account or can be used with a checking account and still gets rewards since I will not tie anything to my checking accounts?

250k+ CL and climbing.
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Card Checking Account Number

I don’t have an answer to your question, but I’m sure other fine folks here will. However, I do have experience with PF and would recommend you stay away. I signed up under a promo and paid the “black card” price for added amenities. It was widely promoted as “cancel at any time” with no contract and no penalty as long as you cancelled at least 3 days prior to the next ACH draft from yes, my checking account. When I decided to cancel they tried to tack on additional cancellation fees and gave me a lot of grief. After much back and forth they relented, and I was done. However, 18 years as an attorney probably helped me to argue my point.

Should you proceed with your endeavor I wish you the best of luck and health. I also look forward to the brilliant ideas this forum is famous for in resolving queries such as yours!
Message 2 of 13
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@JamPwrote:

I researched this a little bit but figured it would be answered here faster as I am sure some of you had or are having the same issue.

I would like to join Planet Fitness but they only accept a checking account. Fine print for cancellation has me worried.

They won't even let me pay the whole thing up front. I am a rewards addict so I get cash back rewards on everything.

So has anyone come across a credit card that can be used as a checking account or can be used with a checking account and still gets rewards since I will not tie anything to my checking accounts?

This is a great question.

I admit that I would be hesitant to give them my checking account number as well, especially for anything subscription-related.  IMO, those who have my checking account number have the "keys to the kingdom" and I'm quite picky about who gets it (especially now that I seldom write checks anymore anyway).

I know of some debit/prepaid products that can accept an ACH credit (Serve, BlueBird, etc.) but they can't/won't accept an ACH debit. 

I will be interested to see if anybody else in the community has been able to find a credit card-related solution to this problem. 

Message 3 of 13
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@UncleBwrote:

@JamPwrote:

This is a great question.

I admit that I would be hesitant to give them my checking account number as well, especially for anything subscription-related.  IMO, those who have my checking account number have the "keys to the kingdom" and I'm quite picky about who gets it (especially now that I seldom write checks anymore anyway).

I know of some debit/prepaid products that can accept an ACH credit (Serve, BlueBird, etc.) but they can't/won't accept an ACH debit. 

I will be interested to see if anybody else in the community has been able to find a credit card-related solution to this problem. 

I agree wholeheartedly UncB.  I'm VERY selective in who gets my checking account number.  I push almost all of payment from my bank account because I'm not thrilled about my lenders having my account stored on their systems...especially with the high increase of data breaches. 

Message 4 of 13
JamP
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Card Checking Account Number - Follow up.

Just a followup....

Well we were able to join Planet Fitness without giving them my bank account.

I told them I did not have a bank account. 

They allowed me to join with a credit card and a backup credit card.

Weird thing was I was not able to pay for a full year in advance.

I guess people don't really have this question lol

250k+ CL and climbing.
Message 5 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Glad it worked out Jam. I remember once when my ex joined it was a pita to cancel they like to make things difficult especially with charges to a bank account. How ridiculous a gym wants access to someones bank account. Mho of courseSmiley Wink
Message 6 of 13
JamP
Valued Contributor

Exactly AJC.

No way was I giving them my bank account. Read horror stories of trying to get out of Planet Fitness membership.

Years ago in the Gateway computer days (does anyone remember going into the gateway store and picking out a customized computer?) I gave them access to my bank account and I paid for that gateway computer 2 times -$2200. Then they proceeded to sue me and I paid for it once more. Their preditory creditcard was crazy maybe 35%-39% apr and a possible monthly fee, and yet they said if you pay on time it will be paid off in 2 to 3 years.

Needless to say that computer was shot many, many times in target practice which was another waste of money but felt better.

250k+ CL and climbing.
Message 7 of 13
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

I know this doesn’t really answer your question. I don’t know any credit card that lets you use it as a bank account.

Discover’s checking account gives you rewards for debit card swipes though.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 8 of 13
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@JamPwrote:

Just a followup....

I'm glad to hear they were able to "figure out" a solution.  I agree that it's a rediculous requirement to begin with, since there are people who have their wages loaded to a prepaid card and genuinely have no checking account (and many of them probably don't even need one).

It would be a shame to make this manufactured "requirement" stand in the way of letting someone join, especially if they needed to be there for health reasons. smh...

Message 9 of 13
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@UncleBwrote:

@JamPwrote:

Just a followup....

I'm glad to hear they were able to "figure out" a solution.  I agree that it's a rediculous requirement to begin with, since there are people who have their wages loaded to a prepaid card and genuinely have no checking account (and many of them probably don't even need one).

It would be a shame to make this manufactured "requirement" stand in the way of letting someone join, especially if they needed to be there for health reasons. smh...

I have a separate checking account set up just for instances like this, when I don't want anyone to have access to my main account but they need to draw from a checking account. It's not connected to any of my accounts and stands alone. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.