Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Co-signer

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Card Co-signer

My student loans have been paid timely and in full..but AFTER they went to collections.  As a result, my credit is ruined.  At 33 years old, am I eligible to have a cosigner on a credit card?  Which ones accect applicants OVER age 21?  Will that establish credit for me?  Or only affect the cosigner??

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
SpeedingWheels
Contributor

Re: Credit Card Co-signer

Have you checked your scores so that you know what the reality is of your situation? 

If not, Sign up for the ScoreWatch trial as well as CreditKarma, CreditSesame and Quizzle just so you know the numbers before you run out apping for products you likely wont get OR are way over-qualified for. 

Walmart Discover ($5000) - Amazon ($5500) - Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2000) - Meijer ($5000) - Discover More ($1800) - Car Care One ($2100) - Amex Delta Skymiles ($2000) - Citi Thank You Preferred ($2000) - Chase Freedom ($500) - Sam's Club, GE ($1237?)
Message 2 of 17
firesoul453
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My student loans have been paid timely and in full..but AFTER they went to collections.  As a result, my credit is ruined.  At 33 years old, am I eligible to have a cosigner on a credit card?  Which ones accect applicants OVER age 21?  Will that establish credit for me?  Or only affect the cosigner??

Of course you can apply for a card with a cosigner. And yes, it affects the credit of both people on the account.

What exctly is your question?

You will have to get credit to start building your score. A co signer can help you get a card.

My ultimate credit wish,
a JP Morgan Palladium card
Message 3 of 17
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

you might be able to build credit with a secured card without a cosigner.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 4 of 17
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

I suggest you get a secured CC.    It would be a lot better for your cosigner to loan you the money for a deposit.  

I believe the cosigner is just a joint account and if they want out in the future, the account usually is closed.  

Either way builds your credit the same.

Message 5 of 17
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

Make sure you get in as the cosigner and let the person with better credit go as the first applicant.
Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

From what I've read, it seemed like only persons UNDER age of 21 were eligible for a cosigner.
I wanted a "regular" CC (versus a secured CC), because I wanted to take advantage of card rewards (airline miles, etc).  Secured cards have very limited rewards, if any.
But if I am not the main card holder, will I be able to receive miles from purchases?

Message 7 of 17
jsucool76
Super Contributor

the boa secured card offers the 1-2-3 rewards on their secured card. 

Message 8 of 17
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

NeedingAdvice wrote:

From what I've read, it seemed like only persons UNDER age of 21 were eligible for a cosigner.

having a co-signer is effectively the same idea as having a joint-account, becuase it is the responsibility of both signers, it shows up on both credit reports, and both signers credit get damaged if you make a late payment.  I recently opened a joint-account with my wife and both of us are over 30 years old.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 9 of 17
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

"But if I am not the main card holder, will I be able to receive miles from purchases?"

No, unless the primary account holder is willing to give them up to you. 

And rewards only make sense if the account is paid in full, each and every month, with no interest accruing.

Carrying a balance negates any "rewards".  The rewards will go to the corp execs of your card account.

**Can't believe my initial spelling/typing was so bad, I had to correct it.  Hate to say it, but I must be gettin' old (note, I didn't say "stupid")

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.