Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Co-signer

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Card Co-signer

What kind did you get?  Does it have travel rewards?

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which card do you recommend?

*Thank you for your comments/response.

Message 12 of 17
lithium78
Established Contributor

Don't get a co-signer.  I was a co-signer on an auto loan once and took a hit when the person missed a payment.  It's just not fair to put someone else at risk because who knows what can happen?

Your best bet is to get a secured credit card from your local credit union and put down a sizeable deposit.  Also, if you haven't done so already, see if you can rehab your student loans to eventually remove the default status.  That's much better than having to wait seven years for the baddies to fall off your report.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

What does this mean?:
"see if you can rehab your student loans to eventually remove the default status"

Message 14 of 17
lithium78
Established Contributor

If you haven't consolidated your loans yet, you can work out a rehabilitation plan with Direct Loans and they will remove the default status after you make 12 on-time payments.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 17
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

I dont recommend a co signer or joint account.  You would be better off rebuilding with 2-3 secured cards if your credit picture doesnt justify getting subprime unsecured credit for now

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

All my student loans are paid off (LATE but in full).  I currently have zero debt but bad credit due to the federal student loans.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.