Did you mean: 

Credit Card Consolidation - 1st time assistance needed

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Card Consolidation - 1st time assistance needed

Hello,

First time poster and new to FicoForums/MyFico.com

I haven't run my credit reports in a very long time and have pleasantly discovered that I should (according to MyFico) be able to get a lower interest rate on my existing debt.

Currently, I'm attempting to consolidate the following debt into a single card with a balance transfer:

Bank of America 12.5% APR- $14,000
Chase                16.25% APR - $4,000

I just closed the above Bank of America card that had a credit limit of $24,000 because the APR was too high and because I simply don't need $24,000 available credit.

What I am trying to accomplish is to transfer both of these balances into a single card with a credit limit of $20,000 with a 0% intro APR for balance transfers OR find a permanent lower APR to allow me to pay down the debt over time.

Considering I just closed an account with a higher limit, I am hoping this will not be too difficult.

I would appreciate any suggestions anyone could offer!

Thanks in advance!

- libbybug
Transunion 713/Equifax 739/Experian 730
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Card Consolidation - 1st time assistance needed

You better do something before that account updates-

I would re-open that account ASAP-

Your scores are already hurting because of high use (UTL) balanace/Credit lines.  You could lose 50 to 100 points.

Message Edited by Timothy on 01-16-2008 08:59 PM
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Timothy - Can you please clarify? Why would my score drop 50-100 points?
There is nothing wrong with the $14000 account in terms of late payment/collections/charge-offs/etc...

If I close an account with $24000 available credit and simply want to transfer $14000 of that debt to a credit card with a lower APR and a similar (but lower) credit line, why does that harm my score?

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sure-

Revoving utilization is a huge score killer- Going to guess your CL on Chase as 10K for the example-

Anything over 30% starts taking points away-
Over 85% or 90% is Maxed out-

If BofA updates before you get a bt done= Your UTL will be 220% and no one will get you a new card-

Current
8K Bal 10K CL 80% Bad
14 Bal 24K CL 58% bad
Over all = 64% bad

After closing BofA
8K Bal 10K CL = 80% bad
14 Bal 0K CL =Over 100% really bad
Over all = 220%  =like a couple of collections

Your proposed
0K Bal 10K CL =0% Good
22K Bal 20K CL = 90% Very bad like a collection
Over all 73% = close to maxed 

Message 4 of 11
maxq
Regular Contributor

libby i think tim was trying to tell you that you should re-open the account you closed...if it was in good standing as you say then that history will benefit you not hurt you....just because you have an open account doesn't mean you have to use it...it just helps with having credit and showing you don't need it to survive....

as far as your consolidation i don't know if that would help your scores but it might help you maintain a better handle on your credit card situation, lower APR, lower credit line, 1 payment, etc...something you have to consider personally for yourself...

something else tim was trying to point out is that when it comes to credit cards your utilization percentage should be low across the board....i don't have any links to post(i'm lazy this morning) but there is lots of information on this web site concerning utilization....

the point is you just need to keep it down....so if you have a 20k card and your balance is 14k then your UTI is very high= 70%, that hurts your credit scores....if you have multiple cards you have to do a calculation to figure out what your total UTI is on your accounts....

hopefully that made some sense...
Goal of 825+ Gardening since 05/05/2017
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know I had a 80 point swing between 5% overall utl and 43% overall UTL. To give you an idea.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you both for the detailed responses.

I have some follow up questions if you don't mind...

- With regards to my total debt that I want to consolidate, it is $18000. I was unsuccessful in reopening the Bank of America account after contacting them (the $14000 debt). I still don't fully understand why my credit was harmed in closing the BoA account. How can the ULT be anything higher than 0% if the account isn't active? Prior to closing the account, my available credit line on that account was $24000. 

- If I understand your advice correctly, should I take this $18000 in total debt and try to make this 30% of my total debt owed towards a credit line? In other words, try to find a loan/credit card that will give me a $60000 credit line, so that way my total debt to balance ratio will not exceed 30%? (The problem with this is that I don't know how to accomplish getting a $60000 credit line)
I apologize for the "newbie" questions, but this is a bit confusing...

In summary, my current situation:

$14000 BoA Debt (closed account). Prior to closing, had a $24000 credit line.
$3750 Chase Debt (open account). Has a $4000 credit line.
I also have a Discover account open (3.9% APR fixed for 3 years) with $0 debt and $5000 credit line. Discover will not allow me to increase the credit line.

My goals:

- Lower the APR on the $18000 debt (Currently split between 12.5% APR and 16.5% APR)
- Lower the $18000 debt (in process)
- Consolidate the $18000 debt into a single account (if feasible)
Message 7 of 11
maxq
Regular Contributor

libby~ first things first, let me explain just say i don't honestly know how bad closing an account could hurt your credit. However, because you closed an account, even though it was your choice, it just doesn't allow for lenders to see you have a revolving line of credit history. They see a closed account with a zero balance. Someone else may be able to explain this a little better. I closed an account I had since 2001 and was always on time, paid more than the minimum, etc. It would be nice for lenders to see that great history. Instead they look at a zero balance and closed account when they pull it up.

Let's look at your situation:

-paid off cc and closed, in good standing, however your UTL was about 58%, very high and this would reflect poorly on your credit, especially if you kept your UTL up this high for a lengthy period of time, it would show you could not effectively pay for your credit and could not show you had some restraint on using as much of it as you could, regardless of why you personally did it, they don't care

-your current balance of 3750 is about 95% UTL of your CL- bad

-your current balance of 14,000, i do not understand where this resides since you closed the BOA account, is this a new account and you just transferred the balance to a new card? if so, what is your CL on that card? just a little more info please.

*** i wouldn't use your discover card for anything just yet since you want to work with one thing at a time.

-now if your considering another consolidation then that may be a bad idea for now, keep in mind that every time you consolidate you are probably dropping your score because your taking from peter to pay paul so to speak

-i was in a similar situation but i only did one consolidation with 2 accounts but my first months payment i cut my UTL down to about 25% which was great compared to what i had the previous month of about 65% on 3 accounts

just remember for getting your credit/scores moving up you want to pay things on time, never late, pay more than the minimum if you can, keep your UTL on ALL revolving cc accounts to a minimum, some people say anywhere between 1 to 5% but realistically when your trying to get things in a more controlled situation you can't always do that.....if you have a 20, 30, even 40% UTL that is still better than a 50 or 60% UTL, just try to get them down as soon as you can

i applaud the processes of what your trying to accomplish, reducing an APR and consolidating can be very good tools to help get your credit cards under control, just don't shoot the head off the horse because he isn't moving, since you cannot re-open the account then i would suggest 1st in trying to get your APR's reduced, if you can't do that then you may want to consider your consolidation method

oh, and when you pay those cards off, do not close them, unless they have an AF that is really hurting you, most of the time i think it's still wise to at least keep them open so your history is there on your CR, cut up the card but don't close the accounts if you have a hard time managing your credit, if your ok then just keep the cards tucked away and only use them in emergencies or when you need to put a little credit on them so they don't seem as though your inactive, that can be a bad thing too, not using your credit

i hope i haven't confused you, i'm still learning myself but if someone else wants to chime in on this then please do so, i'm sure libby could use some insight...keep your head up and stay focused! you will get where you want to be! Smiley Very Happy
Goal of 825+ Gardening since 05/05/2017
Message 8 of 11
kbell
New Contributor

Libby, do you still have a $14k balance with BoA even though you closed the account? The BoA customer rep should not have granted your request to close the account if there was a $14k balance until you paid it down to zero beforehand.

Before closing BoA:

bal CL
14000 24000 BoA
3750 4000 Chase
0 5000 Discover
----- -----
17750 33000

Utility = 17750 / 33000 = 54%

After closing BoA:

bal CL
14000 0 BoA (closed)
3750 4000 Chase
0 5000 Discover
----- ----
17750 9000

Utility = 17750 / 9000 = 197%

The BoA account is closed, but the $14K outstanding balance still counts toward utility. As Tim said, you will probably have a hard getting new credit cards when your cc debt ($17750) exceeds available credit ($9K). Call BoA again (talk with a supervisor if necessary) and ask to reopen the account that never should have been closed by the CSR. Bad CSR, bad.
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks to everyone for your assistance!
I called back BoA this evening and was finally able to get the account reopened. I even tried to get a credit line increase, but was declined.

Now that I understand some of the fundamental concepts of Utility a little bit better, I feel more in control and on the road to recovery.

So, borrowing kbell's useful math formula, I have a new goal listed at the bottom of this message...

In the future, I will be less concerned with the APR and pay more attention to the utility/overall usage. I will continue to pay down the balance on the BoA account and get the utility lowered to under 30%. This costs a lot more money than I have available to me now, but it is a goal. Once my utility is closer to what has been recommended to me on this post, I'll attempt to get lower APRs and revisit the consolidation at that time. 

Some remaining questions that are somewhat unrelated:

- What is the ideal number of total accounts to have open? (inclusive of store cards, credit cards, personal loans, car loans, and mortgages)

- Is there a significant difference between a 730 score (what I have now on average)and an 800 score(what I hope to have)? What can I get with an 800 score that I can't get now? Just lower rates? At what point do I stop worrying about this?

- How does a new car loan work in relation to all this? Lets say that I am able to meet my goals and bring my total debt under $10000 and am interested in a new car loan of $25000...if I purchase a car for $25000 and make a $5000 down payment, does that mean that the utility on the car loan is 80% right off the bat, and starts hurting my credit? Or does that somehow work differently?

Again, thank you SO much for your help. I would have been in a HUGE mess if not for your advice. Have a great day : )

- libby
Currently:

bal CL
14000 24000 BoA
3750 4000 Chase
0 5000 Discover
----- -----
17750 33000

Utility = 17750 / 33000 = 54%
Future:

bal CL
7200 24000 BoA
1200 4000 Chase
1500 5000 Discover
----- -----
9900 33000

Utility = 9900 / 33000 = 30%

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.