Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card FRAUD...Ayyy caramba!

tag
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

Credit Card FRAUD...Ayyy caramba!

Logged into my accounts Sat morning (like I do every day) and noticed a fraudelent charge.

Gulp!

Called WF CS and they resolved my issue immediately. Yay for them! Recent thread was going around regarding using CC instead of debit for fraud protection. This is a good example of a) using CC for added security and b) checking accounts daily.

P.S. The thieves bought groceries from a store in Oakland....so, I'm guessing they may have needed food really bad. Sad.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
shorrttyycm1
Frequent Contributor

Re: Credit Card FRAUD...Ayyy caramba!

Sorry to hear that this happened and glad it got straightened out.

Starting Score: 530
3-2013Score: TU 680 EQ 683 EXP 679 FAKO
Current Score (lender pull): TU 693 EQ 649 EXP 699 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 3 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Well at least it was groceries...maybe...?   Very sad indeed.  Thankfully, it wasn't a big ticket item like something from BB, etc ... Glad you caught the suspicious transaction(s) right away and all was resolved.  Totally agree on using CC for better peace of mind/protection than a debit card.

Message 4 of 11
MsLadyRover
Valued Contributor

So glad you caught it early and that WF took quick action.

Like you, I check my accounts daily for any suspicious activity.

Starting Score: 639 (Walmart TU)
Current Score: TU 715 (Barclay) EX 685 (myFICO) EQ 697 (myFICO)
Goal Score: 700 Across the Board (Mortgage Goal Achieved 1/31/2012!)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 11
bribro
Valued Contributor

I just had some attempted fraud on a CC myself this morning. Chase caught the charges within 2 hours while they were still pending, so good on them.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 6 of 11
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

I wish there were a "like" button so I could like all the comments from everyone. Smiley Happy

I'm glad I caught it too and owe some of my "learned behavior" to everyone on the forum. Thanks!

Message 7 of 11
IWOL
Established Contributor

They may not have needed food that bad. Have you ever noticed that supermarkets rarely ever ask for ID when checking out with a credit card? I cant remeber the last time I was asked to show ID for a CC purchase at a market.  I think credit card thieves are aware of that fact so they often hit markets.

I recently had my Chevron gas card skimmed at a station and they were able to spend about $1500 in gas before I noticed the fraudulent charges. GE was terrible in that regard because Ive consistently charged around $400 a month max on the card for the last 8 months and then all of a sudden there was $1500 charges in about a 1 week period and they never shut down the card. Only reason there were not more charges is the card reached the limit.

On top of that, my gas tank only takes 19 gallons and the thief was obviously filling up multiple cars at a time up to 60 gallons on some of the charges. Really surprised me that GE didnt shut the card right away after the first charge for 64 gallons.....guess they thought I recently bought a big rig or a boat.

Message 8 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@IWOL wrote:

They may not have needed food that bad. Have you ever noticed that supermarkets rarely ever ask for ID when checking out with a credit card? I cant remeber the last time I was asked to show ID for a CC purchase at a market.  I think credit card thieves are aware of that fact so they often hit markets.

And at supermarkets you can buy prepaid Visa/MC/Amex cards (as well as gift cards).  And while in theory the cards can be linked to your one, probably not in time to prevent the use of the cards.  That's what I do when I steal credit cards

Message 9 of 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@longtimelurker

So that's how you know so much about MS! Smiley Wink
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.