Did you mean: 

Credit Card Fraud: Both wife and I

tag
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Credit Card Fraud: Both wife and I

@JaysonT wrote:

@ludawg23 wrote:

This morning, wifes amex (not the same card as me) got dinged for $2,000K at some Sony store in Europe.

Not asking for any number details here but are the numbers similar?  I ask because my spouse and I have different number but only slightly different.  Ultimately, my experience has been that the bulk of the fraud is not from direct access to your PC but rather access to either transaction information from the retailer or from just card number generators.

BTW, the card companies will not normally give you any information on the fraud beyond the amount and location.  They are not looking for you to investigate the issue beyond letting them know it is not your tranactions and possibly signing some paperwork.

Cap1 told me all about it Smiley Very Happy

and fixed it like 5 days later Smiley Mad

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 11 of 12
bakalao2k
Frequent Contributor

Re: Credit Card Fraud: Both wife and I

@ludawg23 wrote:

Last week, my amex card got dinged for some unusual charges for $400 through amazon.com.  Amex took the charges off and I tried to get more info from the person who used it through amazon but they refused to tell me.

This morning, wifes amex (not the same card as me) got dinged for $2,000K at some Sony store in Europe.

Now i'm freaking out because this happened in the same week.

My computer has the latest Norton virus with all updates.

We've changed all our passwords to our log-ins and also email.

Is there anything else we should be doing? Credit monitoring necessary now?

Thanks guys

Keeping your antivirus software updated is a step in the right direction, but are you running full scans on your computer?  Sometimes Norton can't detect some trojans/malware. If a keylogger is installed on your system, it records everything you type into your computer..including your changed passwords.
If I were you, download Malwarebytes (it is free) and do a full scan of your system. The full scan should include scanning the system registry.
TU - 737 - 02/21/09, 769 - 02/06/10, 795 - 09/08/10
EQ - 758 - 02/21/09, 783 - 02/06/10, 805 - 09/08/10
EX (PLUS) - 781 03/23/09, 787 - 02/06/10, 783 - 08/09/10
Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.