Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Interest Rates and Fico Score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Card Interest Rates and Fico Score

I read on the Suze Website that your CC interest rates are based on your FICO Score.  So how do you determine what your CC rates should be and if your CC companies are overcharging you?
My FICO score has gone up up up and I'm still paying high rates even though I've asked the company's numerous times to lower them based on my good credit?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Credit Card Interest Rates and Fico Score

If your scores are considerably higher now and you have old accounts that you got when you had bad credit... simply apply for new cards with better companies.  Graduate out of Orchard, household, first premier, etc.

Get Hooters, wamu, amex, capital one

Message 2 of 5
fused
Moderator Emeritus

sasysuz wrote:
I read on the Suze Website that your CC interest rates are based on your FICO Score.  So how do you determine what your CC rates should be and if your CC companies are overcharging you?
My FICO score has gone up up up and I'm still paying high rates even though I've asked the company's numerous times to lower them based on my good credit?

Not all CCCs are registered FICO lenders. Some CCCs such as FIA/BOA and Amex use FICO scores but it's just one part of the underwriting process. They use their own internal scoring models along with a whole host of other information: income, payment history, revolving history scoring and etc. The revolving history scoring is tantamount to saying how much can we make of this sucker.

What are your FICO scores? Which CCs do you have, CLs, Balances, APRs, and when were they opened? Maybe I can offer up some advice on how to get your way.
Message 3 of 5
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

sasysuz wrote:

They don't respond well when asked for rewards.  They do respond to customer retention if they think you're going to leave them.

Try telling them that you are getting 0 balance transfer offers with better APR after the intro from other cards,  but before you close your card you'd like to see what they can do for you.

Don't close your card though.
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 4 of 5
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:
If your scores are considerably higher now and you have old accounts that you got when you had bad credit... simply apply for new cards with better companies. Graduate out of Orchard, household, first premier, etc.
Get Hooters, wamu, amex, capital one

AMEX but the others are subprime with the exception of some Capital One cards.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.