Reply
Valued Contributor
Dustink
Posts: 2,980
Registered: ‎10-02-2012

Credit Card Interest

How is credit card interest calculated?

 

Example:

$5,000 in purchases with no prior balance from the previous month

$2,000 in payments before the end of the cycle creating a $3000 statement balance

$2000 in payments creating a $1,000 carried balance

 

At 15% what would the interest charged be?

 

Would it be the monthly rate of 1.25% multiplied by the $1,000 carried balance? Interest charges around $12.50

 

Or would the bank waive any grace period and charge a 0.04% daily rate. Meaning whatever the balance is on any given day during the entire month and grace period gets charged interest? This would result in interest charges of over $50 for just one billing cycle.

 

Thoughts?

 

If we can't come up with a solution, I might have to try it for just one month to see what happens. 

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:21    


     $14k          $8.5K          $7.5k          $7.5k         $6.5k             $6k             $5k            $5k             $5k              $5k           NPSL       @ 0%
Valued Contributor
jsucool76
Posts: 2,770
Registered: ‎12-11-2011

Re: Credit Card Interest

Im not entirely sure myself, I've never been charged interest, but I think by law your lender must put a minimum payment warning on your statement. Something that says "if you pay only the min. payment, you will pay for x months, a total of $x.xx, and $x.xx in interest" might help you to figure it out.
Wallet: Capital One Cash Rewards 3500CL, Wells Fargo Cash Back College Visa: 900CL, Paypal Smart Connect: 1286CL, Walmart Discover: 2000CL, UPromise Mastercard: 1000CL, Chase Slate: 500CL, Discover IT: 2000CL, Citi Forward: 1500CL, Bank Of America Student Travel Rewards: 700CL
Contributor
firstladyd
Posts: 143
Registered: ‎05-23-2011

Re: Credit Card Interest

I think they try to keep it confusing which is why I try to pay off asap.

Starting Score: 585
Current Score: TU 734 Walmart EQ 704 FICO EX 721
Goal Score: 750 Across the board


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Established Contributor
shakalaka
Posts: 547
Registered: ‎09-10-2012

Re: Credit Card Interest

AFAIK the grace period is waved if you did not PIF by the due date. So interest (for the remaining part) will happen from date of purchase. Normally it is calculated on a day to day base. You should check the terms of the card. It should be in there.


Amex Platinum (NPSL) | Amex BCE (33,400) | Chase Sapphire Preferred (17,400) | Discover IT (12,700) | Chase Freedom (4,800) | Walmart (4,500) | CapOne (1,500) | Alliant CU Visa | Gone for good: CapOne secured (thx for getting me started) | Amex Zync (thx for getting me into AX)

FICO: TU 748 (4/30) EQ 730 (4/26) EX 748 (12/5)

Senior Contributor
youngandcreditwrthy
Posts: 6,154
Registered: ‎08-16-2012

Re: Credit Card Interest

I'm fairly certain you will pay interest on the "average daily balance" which is calculated daily.
So
If you paid $2000 on a $5000 balance, say...in the very middle of the month... You'd prob pay interest on the average daily balance of $3500(1/2 between $2k&5k). This is a wild guess btw.

I am saying this bc Barclay's recently charged me interest this way.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $12.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Arrival $12.7k | Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $5k| West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Valued Contributor
SnackTrader
Posts: 1,563
Registered: ‎09-15-2012

Re: Credit Card Interest

Just as young said above, it is typically the average daily balance method, but there are other methods that can be used if the creditor discloses, I believe. So on all items past their grace period and cash advances immediately, the average balance at the end of the banking day (correct me if I'm wrong there) is recorded, and averaged at the end of the month and multiplied by the interest rate in a monthly fashion. It's a rather difficult calculation to make by yourself without the exact same information your lender is using.

There are detailed explanations of this within each card's disclosures.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $22.200, Chase CSP (4/14) $12,000, Barclaycard Arrival (5/13) $10,500, Citi Forward (12/12) $9,600, Cap1 Cash Rewards (6/12) $9,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $5,000

Last App: April 2, 2014
Senior Contributor
Wolf3
Posts: 3,198
Registered: ‎01-24-2010

Re: Credit Card Interest


Dustink wrote:

How is credit card interest calculated?

 

Example:

$5,000 in purchases with no prior balance from the previous month

$2,000 in payments before the end of the cycle creating a $3000 statement balance

$2000 in payments creating a $1,000 carried balance

 

At 15% what would the interest charged be?

 

Would it be the monthly rate of 1.25% multiplied by the $1,000 carried balance? Interest charges around $12.50

 

Or would the bank waive any grace period and charge a 0.04% daily rate. Meaning whatever the balance is on any given day during the entire month and grace period gets charged interest? This would result in interest charges of over $50 for just one billing cycle.

 

Thoughts?

 

If we can't come up with a solution, I might have to try it for just one month to see what happens. 


SInce you did not PIF, there is no grace period.   Interest is charged on the Average Daily Balance from date of first charge.   Typically they use the Average Daily Balance times the Daily rate (!5%/3 65) times number of days in the statement cycle.

 

So your example can not be calculated without knowing dates of charges and payments.   Your ADB could vary from $2000 to $4000 based on how quickly you charged and paid.

Valued Contributor
trumpet-205
Posts: 2,177
Registered: ‎11-11-2010

Re: Credit Card Interest

[ Edited ]

shakalaka wrote:

AFAIK the grace period is waved if you did not PIF by the due date. So interest (for the remaining part) will happen from date of purchase. Normally it is calculated on a day to day base. You should check the terms of the card. It should be in there.


Two methods exist, one is based on original purchase amount (In OP scenario, it will be based on $5,000)

 

The other is average daily balace method.

 

In My Wallet:
Citi Forward (12/2010) | Citi TY Preferred (05/2011) | Chase Freedom (11/2011) | GECRB/PayPal (05/2012)
Discover it (07/2012) | AMEX BCP (09/2012) | TD/Target REDCard (10/2012) | Chase Ink Classic (11/2012)
BofA BBR (04/2013) | FNBO/Overstock.com (02/2014) | Barclaycard Arrival (04/2014) | FIA/Fidelity AMEX (04/2014)
Senior Contributor
Wolf3
Posts: 3,198
Registered: ‎01-24-2010

Re: Credit Card Interest


trumpet-205 wrote:

shakalaka wrote:

AFAIK the grace period is waved if you did not PIF by the due date. So interest (for the remaining part) will happen from date of purchase. Normally it is calculated on a day to day base. You should check the terms of the card. It should be in there.


Two methods exist, one is based on original purchase amount (In OP scenario, it will be based on $5,000)

 

The other is average daily balace method.

 


I doubt any consumer CC would base it on $5000.   Do you know of any who do.

Senior Contributor
Wolf3
Posts: 3,198
Registered: ‎01-24-2010

Re: Credit Card Interest

By my calculations, it can vary from approximately $13 to $98 based on timing of charges and payments.


myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+