Valued Contributor
bs6054

Re: Credit Card Interest

So now I trying to understand the extended process.

Let's say that the statement cycle is Jan 1 - Jan 31.

I charge $5,000 on Jan 1st and nothing else.   My statement cuts Jan 31, and I have a payment due say Feb 21.  I pay $1,000 then.

So the consensus seems to be that in this simple case I pay interest on the whole $5,000 for the 31 days of Jan.   What happens in my Feb statement?

I assume I am charged interest on the $5,000 from Feb 1 to Feb 20, say, then again assuming no more transactions, my balance is $4,000 and for the remainder of Feb I pay interest on that?

Frequent Contributor
jake619

Maybe I misunderstand the question, but each of my card statements include a section titled something like "HOW WE CALCULATE YOUR BALANCE AND INTEREST CHARGES".  

GangnamFICO wrote:

Because the chicks dig it when I throw down the card to the waiter and...it comes in handy if I'm short on cash until payday and need a short spot. AMEX gets the booty, and that's important when you're a Pirate.

Minor vulgarity edit --Rev

Valued Contributor
Dustink

[ Edited ]

I have never paid interest, but I am just wondering how the bank calculates it. I can just PIF, but I an curious how they come up with the interest charges.

To be clear, this is the example:

$5000 charged, $2000 paid BEFORE statement cut, $2000 paid BEFORE due date, $1,000 carried. Assume linear charges and payments. No single big purchase and no single payment, just consistent charges and payments the whole time.

I might have to create a scenario like this and see what my bank charges me. I asked a banker, and he said in this example interest would only be charged on the $1000 balance, but I believe he is incorrect.

I think most credit cards use average daily balance.

I think this scenario would create an average daily balance of around $2,000. If the cycle is 31 days long with a 24 day grace period, then the billing period would be 55 days. At 15% the daily interest is 0.041%.

$2000*55*0.041%=$45.10

I would estimate the interest charge to be around $50 even though $1,000 is being carried.

To me that is ripping the customer off effectively charging a 60% APR on the $1000 carried.

Always PIF!

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:21    

$14k          $8.5K          $7.5k          $7.5k         $6.5k             $6k             $5k            $5k             $5k              $5k           NPSL       @ 0%

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+