Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Invitations

tag
js0319
Established Contributor

Credit Card Invitations

I was wondering if credit card companies try to use invitations for new cards as a way of getoting more information for collection purposes.  Keep getting Citi Diamond Preferred and Thank You credit card offers, but I am pretty sure my scores aren't high enough to qualify for one of these cards. I do have a collection that's currently with Asset Acceptance on a Home Depot  CC ( through Citibank) that I defaulted on about 5 years ago and owe about $5k on. Could they genuinely be trying tcard carded a card, or or they just trying to have me fill out an app s they can find out where I stand with my credit and finastate right now for collections purposes? I'm getting 2-3 offers per week from them. 

AMEX PRG - NPSL I AMEX Everyday Preferred - $34.8k I Capital One Venture - $20k I Chase Sapphire Preferred - $25.5k I Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier - $20.7k I Barclay Arrival + - $10k I Capital One Quicksilver - $10k I NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa Signature - $15k I NASA FCU - $10k I Texell FCU Visa - $5k I Chase Freedom - $9.9k I Citi Double Cash - $7.8k I Discover IT - $5k I NFCU CLOC - $15k I Total Unsecured Credit - $188,700

EQ FICO - 714 (5/24/16) I TU FICO - 772 (5/24/16) I EX FICO - 770 (5/24/16)
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: Credit Card Invitations

I doubt it is for collection purposes.  I imagine it's more the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.  Those mailers go out based on very general criteria.

That isn't to say that if you apply, it might not trigger some sort of collection activity.  But I doubt you are being targeted because of the collection.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Walt_K wrote:

I doubt it is for collection purposes.  I imagine it's more the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.  Those mailers go out based on very general criteria.

That isn't to say that if you apply, it might not trigger some sort of collection activity.  But I doubt you are being targeted because of the collection.

+1

Message 3 of 5
CK_Charles_Lover
Regular Contributor

+1 Citi was relentless with mailing of pre-approved till I took the bait and got 2.

Trans Union Fico (Walmart) ,690 Experian Fico (Amex) 686(Opened 3 new accounts this month. In the Garden)

AMEX BCE ($19,500) AMEX PRG -(NPSL), BARCLAYS US AIR PREMIER WORLD ($10,000), BOA CASH REWARD -($6,000), CITI HILTON RESERVE SIGGY-(5,000), WALMART DISCOVER ( $5,800), CITI DIAMOND ($4,700), CITI DIVIDED WORLD ($4,500), AMAZON STORE($5,000), NORDSTROM VISA SIG($5,000), PAYPAL STORE ($4,000) Amex Delta Gold ($2000)
Message 4 of 5
babymixer
Regular Contributor

I agree with what the others said.  I kept getting Citi offers and took the plunge and responded to the Citi Diamond Preferred and was instantly approved for $4700.  I really didn't think I qualified as well.  It's my highest CL so far.

cc's copy
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.