Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Management System

tag
minski
Established Contributor

Re: Credit Card Management System

I assign roles for my cards. For example:

- PenFed cash rewards is my dedicated gas card (although with most places charging more for credit, I might switch to just paying cash)

- Blispay for financing

- US Bank Cash+ for cell phone and eating out

- Amazon Prime Store card for Amazon

- NavyFed cash rewards for when I travel abroad

I try to remember what the categories are for Discover, Freedom and Dividend, and use them accordingly. And then I rotate my two other general spend cards.

I tried Wallaby but I didn't trust it to keep my information safe, and it was easy enough to keep track of the categories last year so I'm keeping to my system this year. 

I also have all my cards that can be on auto-pay (glare at Blispay) on auto-pay so I don't miss any payments.

Message 11 of 20
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@minski wrote:

- PenFed cash rewards is my dedicated gas card (although with most places charging more for credit, I might switch to just paying cash)

- Blispay for financing

I try to remember what the categories are for Discover, Freedom and Dividend, and use them accordingly. And then I rotate my two other general spend cards.

I tried Wallaby but I didn't trust it to keep my information safe, and it was easy enough to keep track of the categories last year so I'm keeping to my system this year. 

I also have all my cards that can be on auto-pay (glare at Blispay) on auto-pay so I don't miss any payments.

The only thing I put into Wallaby is what cards I have. I won't let it link to my external accounts. 

Message 12 of 20
sjt
Senior Contributor

@SecretAzure wrote:

Hello myFico denizens! I was wondering what you all use to manage which cards to use at which times? Do you have a credit card holder? Do you use a label maker? Do you use an app?

I have 6 cards (4 with rewards) so it's not too hard to manage but I want to hear about everyone's personal systems.

Priority: 

1. Chase Freedom for 5% on any given category so I would use that for the corresponding category before my other cards
  2. Amex BCE for 3% on groceries, 2% on drug stores, gas stations and select stores, no where else
  3. Chase Freedom Unlimited: On all other purchases
  4. I don't really use my other cards much

So I want to know what you use to manage your rewards. Sometimes I might forget I get certain bonuses at certain stores...sometimes I forget my Freedom rolled into another quarter and I miss opportunities to rack up UR. How do you people with 10,11, 12 and beyond cards manage which cards to use and when?

Thank you!

Not only do I use my cards based on rewards but also use them based on when the statement cutoff date is so I get an extra 20-30 days to pay.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 13 of 20
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

@sjt wrote:

Not only do I use my cards based on rewards but also use them based on when the statement cutoff date is so I get an extra 20-30 days to pay.

I was trying to figure out why I was hit with only $12 of interest on big balance...now that you say this, I can only imagine that I luckily must've put the spend on the card during this time frame...fortunately, I've been able to pay down the big balance a lot since so I shouldn't even see this much interest next time either. I learn so much on these forums. I have no idea when my cutoff dates are...is it the day after a payment is due?

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 14 of 20
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Statement cutoffs can vary. I've seen them anywhere from three days to a week after the due date. Some lenders have consistent statement dates. And with others, they might vary, possibly due to the number of days in the month.

Look at your account online, or look on the statement. There's a good chance that there's a "statement close date" given. To be sure, call your card issuers.

Message 15 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wallaby looks like an awesome app!

Although I have multiple cards, I really only ever use one at a time and put everything on it.
Message 16 of 20
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@minski wrote:

- Blispay for financing

I do roles too.

CSR for anything travel and dining, and default for abroad stuff (which is mostly food anyway but occasionally some knick-knack)

Freedom if it falls to 5x.

FU for anything that falls to default where I'm not paying a FX fee.

Need to go find my Costco card for gas starting today. 

And, bleh.  That's sort of it for anything that's not on auto pay or Amazon currently right now.  My financial life and credit card use is absurdly simple currently, unlike my travel arrangements and sadly my expense reports.  Fortunately I don't mind being boring financially Smiley Happy.

Will try Wallaby whenever I come off the road or my financial life becomes more complicated.

        
Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@minski wrote:

- Blispay for financing

The only thing I put into Wallaby is what cards I have. I won't let it link to my external accounts. 

+1

Message 18 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello all, what was it specifically that you did not trust?
Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldnt be chasing anything that Wells Fargo has to offer !

Wells Fargo is considered sub prime to many people because of

how they have opened up credit card accounts for people without

their permission

My daughter was one of them !

All of the other cards that you listed are actually on my wish list as well  Smiley LOL

I am going for Amex ED in July !

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.