Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Management System

tag
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

Credit Card Management System

Hello myFico denizens! I was wondering what you all use to manage which cards to use at which times? Do you have a credit card holder? Do you use a label maker? Do you use an app?

I have 6 cards (4 with rewards) so it's not too hard to manage but I want to hear about everyone's personal systems.

Priority: 

1. Chase Freedom for 5% on any given category so I would use that for the corresponding category before my other cards
  2. Amex BCE for 3% on groceries, 2% on drug stores, gas stations and select stores, no where else
  3. Chase Freedom Unlimited: On all other purchases
  4. I don't really use my other cards much

So I want to know what you use to manage your rewards. Sometimes I might forget I get certain bonuses at certain stores...sometimes I forget my Freedom rolled into another quarter and I miss opportunities to rack up UR. How do you people with 10,11, 12 and beyond cards manage which cards to use and when?

Thank you!

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Card Management System

@SecretAzure wrote:

Hello myFico denizens! I was wondering what you all use to manage which cards to use at which times? Do you have a credit card holder? Do you use a label maker? Do you use an app?

I have 6 cards (4 with rewards) so it's not too hard to manage but I want to hear about everyone's personal systems.

Priority: 

1. Chase Freedom for 5% on any given category so I would use that for the corresponding category before my other cards
  2. Amex BCE for 3% on groceries, 2% on drug stores, gas stations and select stores, no where else
  3. Chase Freedom Unlimited: On all other purchases
  4. I don't really use my other cards much

So I want to know what you use to manage your rewards. Sometimes I might forget I get certain bonuses at certain stores...sometimes I forget my Freedom rolled into another quarter and I miss opportunities to rack up UR. How do you people with 10,11, 12 and beyond cards manage which cards to use and when?

Thank you!

I use an app called Wallaby. It shows you the best card to use based on maximizing rewards. I pull it up and search recommendations on local places all the time to make sure I have the right card before leaving the house. Here are a few screenshots showing the wallet management, features you can manage on the card (if you link your card accounts) and recommendations based on category. 

fullsizeoutput_1db3.jpeg   fullsizeoutput_1db8.jpeg  fullsizeoutput_1dbb.jpeg

And I'm asking for this wallet for my birthday: 

http://www.coach.com/coach-breast-pocket-wallet-in-water-buffalo-leather/55249B.html?dwvar_color=BLK

Message 2 of 20
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

This looks amazing...thank you for taking the time to include screenshots as that really does help understand how it works. I'm definitely getting this app tonight.

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 3 of 20
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@SecretAzure wrote:

This looks amazing...thank you for taking the time to include screenshots as that really does help understand how it works. I'm definitely getting this app tonight.

Of course, Wallaby means nothing when I'm in sign up bonus mode, like I am now. I'm chasing 4 signup bonuses right now - AARP, BCE, ED, WF Cashwise.

Message 4 of 20
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@SecretAzure wrote:

Of course, Wallaby means nothing when I'm in sign up bonus mode, like I am now. I'm chasing 4 signup bonuses right now - AARP, BCE, ED, WF Cashwise.

Wow! Good luck! That's a lot of signup bonuses. I am just completing my one...for Freedom Unlimited. So the app would be great since I already met the spend!

Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not so much priority, but I use awardwallet to track all my points and cash.

Keeps track of everything BUT United. MR, SPG, cash, HHonors etc.
Message 6 of 20
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Mine is easy since I only use a few cards. The GoRewards card from NFCU for restaurants (3 pts) and gas (2 pts, unless Discover has gas that quarter), Amex BCE for groceries, Discover for quarterly spend, and other things will be put on one of those cards or possibly a Cap1. Occasionally a store card for special financing.
Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good question and interesting answers in the threadSmiley Happy

For me it is quite simple:

1.Satisfy sign up bonus requirements (usually this gives 20~30% 'cashback' and you don't want to miss that)

2.For large non-reoccurring purchases that can be paid using a card(your call about how large is large, maybe 1K or more?) I stop and think through my cards, also use a portal if possible. 

3.For the rest I look at my year end summary from various cards (you can also use mint) and add up the categories, then re-align the cards with the heavy categories.

The rest usualy don't have a big enough impact and can be safely ignored.

Message 8 of 20
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Bonus categories don't always mean much for me. It's more a matter of asking myself a few questions. If the answer to any one question is a strong "yes", then that is generally what I rely on.

Do I distrust the merchant, or do I need a strong warranty? Use Platinum.

Can I likely buy it cheaper elsewhere? Use Prestige/Costco.

Does any card offer really great rewards or savings? Use that.

Would it be socially awkward if the card was declined as a false alarm for fraud? Probably use Platinum, but definitely avoid Discover.

I once used Wallaby, but gave up on it when GPS told it I was by Costco gas pumps and it told me to use Sallie Mae. Software isn't a substitute for knowing my cards.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 9 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Enjoying the ideas posted here. Good thread.

FWIW...I just use the little round colored stickers.

Green is zero balance for cards not used much.

Orange is balance is over 50% due to BT.

Pink has written the reward % and category. Sometimes 2 stickers on a card. Like Freedom has an orange sticker right now since I'm using a BT offer. But also a pink for 5% at gas...soon to be 5% at grocery stores in April.

My CitiCostco has 4% gas, but Discover and Freedom beat that Jan-Mar with 5%.

It also has 3% for restaurants, which I use too frequently.  Smiley Wink

BCE for groceries @ 3% right now. Freedom will beat that next quarter with 5%.

Apping in July for BCP for 6%.

I use Amazon Visa for the 5% there.

Discover will be 5% at home improvement stores and wholesale clubs in April.

For most everything else not listed above, I'm using QS WEMC pretty hard for 6 months @ 1.5%  PIF and hoping for CLI after this next statement cut. But...

Prefer Blispay for 2%. and hoping they start passing out some CLIs soon for everyone.

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.