Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Max Exposure

tag
Gregory1776
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Card Max Exposure

@simplynoirwrote:

The only lender I'm aware where I think I've come close to hitting the ceiling is AMEX. After my last 4506T request on the SPG to bring me to $99,500 total CL in December thought I perhaps I hit max exposure til they gave an unsolicited CLI on my BCE to bring total credit past the $100k mark. Hard to say what they'll give in the future but been innundated with offers to get their SimplyCash+ biz card recently so tentatively thinking I haven't hit it yet.

Some other banks/lenders like Penfed, NFCU, and BofA I'll find out where I stand with them in July when I plan to hit them for CLIs while others like Synchrony (Walmart/SC) and CapOne I don't want to bother with I have enough to work with.

OMG I thought you SPG was at 99.5k I’m like noooooo!

51.5K, still incredible! 😝😍

Message 11 of 27
Gregory1776
Valued Contributor

@Credit-hoarderwrote:

The only lender I'm pretty sure I'm at max. exp. right now is Citi--b/c when I took a HP to increase my DP last Nov from $6K to $20K they countered with $10K and told me that was the most they could give at that time given my score and income combined. Between Citi cards and Citi retail cards I have a combined $56K.

@Anonymous my last CLI attempt with USAA in Jan. 2017 it was declined sighting I was at max exp. with them for the time @ $19K--haven't tried since then.

Pretty sure there's money on the table with Comenity, B of A (but getting close), Synch, AMEX, Barclay, and few others--but taking things slow and steady now as I've just hit $400K combined recently and plan to end my journey just short of or over $500K.

Does anyone know if this would limit your CL for everyday Credit Cards?

Message 12 of 27
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Gregory what do you mean by "every day cards"?
Are you referring to the exposure limiting CLs elsewhere? If so, it's dependent on the lender.
Message 13 of 27
Gregory1776
Valued Contributor

@Gmood1wrote:
Gregory what do you mean by "every day cards"?
Are you referring to the exposure limiting CLs elsewhere? If so, it's dependent on the lender.

Yea a regular credit card. Like if you have a 20k limit on your macys cc, would you get a smaller credit line on the citi DC if you applied for that...? If your income didn’t support/ max exposure for citi...

are citi bank credit cards linked/considered in credit limits/exposure with retail cards citi backs?

make sense what I’m trying to say? 🤔🤔

Message 14 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, major bank cards and retail cards would be combined in this case when looking at overall exposure to a lender.

For example, if I had a $10k Citi DC card and apped an received a $10k Home Depot card, my total exposure would be $20k through Citi.  Based on my income/credit profile, say $20k is my ceiling with Citi.  The fact that I got that Home Depot card would then impede my chances of ever getting a CLI on that DC card I've had longer, simply because I reached max exposure by adding the HD card.

Message 15 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

AverageJoesCredit ... have to confirm your findings. Citi quit allowing me CLIs in 2014 and one front line rep said you hit our max exposure. US Bank reviewed me and lowered my total credit by $10K because I had more credit than income (could not disagree). Chase has held me to my CLs for years and based on my readings on this board, I am well over the regular Chase risk allowance. Barclays allowed me over their risk tolerance by $5K and now that I closed the Commence Card I am under their limit but no cards of interest today. So ... while we may have great credit (been in the 800's for over four years) lenders hold me and my profile to the wall! Smiley Wink
Message 16 of 27
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@redpatwrote:

I really never cared what my max exposure is or could be.  I have enough credit and may trim I Barclays and PRG this year perhaps.

There comes a time when enough is enough in everything.

+1  Last year I decided I had too many cards and closed eight of them, reducing my combined credit limits by $40,000.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 17 of 27
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

I think I am over trying to get to double or triple my income with CL's. I have been OK with waht I have at about 43K. I have gotten SP CLI's and thats about it. I don't want to put in a dozen HP's just get a couple grand of limits. I am working on any baddies I have left and paying down my mortgage and car loans. Navy has been good to me and I can redeem my cash back quickly.

Message 18 of 27
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

Yes, major bank cards and retail cards would be combined in this case when looking at overall exposure to a lender.

For example, if I had a $10k Citi DC card and apped an received a $10k Home Depot card, my total exposure would be $20k through Citi.  Based on my income/credit profile, say $20k is my ceiling with Citi.  The fact that I got that Home Depot card would then impede my chances of ever getting a CLI on that DC card I've had longer, simply because I reached max exposure by adding the HD card.

+1. I didn't know it at first but yes store card do count towards max. exp. If I had known that a few years ago I wouldn't have climbed so high with my Macy's or Best Buy store cards. I don't think a lot of people on this forum realize it either but having a huge CL with Macy's--i.e. $25K may hamper their ability to get a high credit line on a Citi bank card. But it is what it is and I'm good with where I'm at with Citi for the time being.

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 19 of 27
Gregory1776
Valued Contributor

Knowing this now, I’m not asking for anymore clis on my macys! One day I do want to get a citi card of some kind.... and have 23700 in combined CL between Macy's and Home Depot.

Is it possible to decrease those limits and get a heigher limit on a Citi card?

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.