Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Offer after the fact.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Card Offer after the fact.

So I recently applied for the Amex Blue Cash EveryDay card for the signup bonus. I also have an AMEX through USAA but it offers no rewards. I was approved but not for the sign up bonus. They offered me a Blue Cash card but with only 500$ limit and no signup bonus. Stating that if I use my card and pay bills on time in six months....yada yada yada.... Then two weeks later I get and offer with an RSVP code to sign up for the same card with a different sign up bonus. I understand that these offers are not guarantees of approval. But as one could imagine, this offer is way better than what I got and I would love to have the 0% for 12 months and $250 bonus after the first $1000 spent. Any chance they would allow me to apply again but with this code? Is there anything really special about these codes other than strait marketing? What's everyones experience with entering these codes online for an approval? Denied? Approved? Approved but for lesser offer? More than anything just looking for some input. Not going to apply again.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Card Offer after the fact.

Considering the context of your $500 approval w/ credit steps I would consider the RSVP to be purely marketing at this point.

You got in the door by the skin of your teeth with the credit step option.  Before the last 6 months or so AMEX didn't even offer this sort of thing.  

Take your approval, make a purchase every month, pay every month, and get your CLI per the terms.  There have been a couple of people though that have been able to CLI before the 6 months is up by requesting one manually as you would with any other AMEX account.  

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I figured AMEX didnt like the fact that all my CC accounts were opened within the last two years. Most have a much higher limit though.

Discover started at $5000 with auto CLI to $6300 after 4 months.

Chase Saffiere $5000

Chase IHG $5000

USAA AMEX started at $2000 with auto CLI after 6 months to $4000

Bank of American $3500

Best Buy Citi started at $1000 and after 4 months I asked for another $1000 and got it with a hard pull instantly.

Sunoco Citi stafted at $500 and got $250 auto CLI after 6 months.

Citizens Bank also shows a $1500 credit line on my report. Thats my overdraft protection on my checking account. I also have a $3000 credit line with Finger Hut from way back when. Usage is less than 20% right now. Only one that ever carries any sort of balance is Discover. They gave me 0% for 14 months with Unlimited cash back matching for 12 months. Redoing my kitchen right now so Dicover gives me a little flexability right now to get it done a little quicker and nicer than I would be going. ( I procrastinate with projects......lol) I would have liked the sign up bonuses from AMEX and it would have encouraged me to use the card more.

I use each card differently to maximize the best possible rewards for my money and then pay it off every 7 to 10 days.
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@austinguy907 wrote:

Considering the context of your $500 approval w/ credit steps I would consider the RSVP to be purely marketing at this point.

You got in the door by the skin of your teeth with the credit step option.  Before the last 6 months or so AMEX didn't even offer this sort of thing.  

Take your approval, make a purchase every month, pay every month, and get your CLI per the terms.  There have been a couple of people though that have been able to CLI before the 6 months is up by requesting one manually as you would with any other AMEX account.  

+1

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

In November of 2015 my first AMEX card came with a SL of $1000 (BCE) with no sign up bonus. My file was thin, with only a year old Chase Freedom @2k CL. Taking the time to use the BCE built my external and internal scores, leading to a Platinum, three business charge cards, and a fresh approval for a $25k SL business account. AMEX had no problem when I spent over $100k on my business cards in a single month this year, only asking that I pay the statement balance of one card before charging another $20k. 

Long story short, I found AMEX to be the best possible option with a thin file. They respect the ability to charge and pay on time, offer really good rewards once you've proven yourself, and are generally pleasant to work with. Other banks can be great to work with as well (I like Chase quite a bit,) but no one else has shown growth even in the same ballpark. If you're serious about getting rewards over the long term, don't write AMEX off. They might suck if you want to carry a balance, but I've not gone down that road with them.

Good luck with the BCE, and I hope you stick with it and get that first 3x CLI!

Message 5 of 10
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous November of 2015 my first AMEX card came with a SL of $1000 (BCE) with no sign up bonus. My file was thin, with only a year old Chase Freedom @2k CL. Taking the time to use the BCE built my external and internal scores, leading to a Platinum, three business charge cards, and a fresh approval for a $25k SL business account. AMEX had no problem when I spent over $100k on my business cards in a single month this year, only asking that I pay the statement balance of one card before charging another $20k. 

Long story short, I found AMEX to be the best possible option with a thin file. They respect the ability to charge and pay on time, offer really good rewards once you've proven yourself, and are generally pleasant to work with. Other banks can be great to work with as well (I like Chase quite a bit,) but no one else has shown growth even in the same ballpark. If you're serious about getting rewards over the long term, don't write AMEX off. They might suck if you want to carry a balance, but I've not gone down that road with them.

Good luck with the BCE, and I hope you stick with it and get that first 3x CLI!

I know part of the problem for some people with thin files is inquiries. With my current card portfolio, I've had 11 inquiries on EX, 8 on EQ and only 2 on TU. I've also heard that certain CCC will pull from a different CRA depending on your location.  Aside from a car loan that I paid off in '07, all my credit is less than 2 years old. All the data on my CR's is identical aside from the inquiries. My EX is 40 points lower than my TU. In time all the inquiries will fall off, but it makes it a slow grow with Amex.

I've grown great with Discover, BoA, (and somehow, I'm doing something good with Chase' internal scoring.) But they use TU. This is my best explanation.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Im in the same boat. Chase and discover along with BOA have been pretty good with limits. At least Im om with what they gave me. I dont need a huge limit. Seems like the inquiries and short credit history effect us bith the same with AMEX. Im going to use more than the limit each month making multiple payments and take a break from my BOA card for a while. See what kind of account I can establish with AMEX. My gather swears by them.
Message 7 of 10
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Im in the same boat. Chase and discover along with BOA have been pretty good with limits. At least Im om with what they gave me. I dont need a huge limit. Seems like the inquiries and short credit history effect us bith the same with AMEX. Im going to use more than the limit each month making multiple payments and take a break from my BOA card for a while. See what kind of account I can establish with AMEX. My gather swears by them.

With the toy limit on BCE, I added my 17 year old daughter to the card and let her use it as her own. She and my wife have been doing well with it and put about $700-1000 through it a month and PIF when it gets between $600-700 on the balance. Does Amex like you to go over? I know about the "spending power" button, but does using over your limit change an integer in Amex's internal scoring logic to a positive? Where's Pooka89 when you need him? Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Im sorry I should have been a little clearer. I didnt mean to say go over the limit. What I meant to say was use most of whats available of the $500 and pay it off several times a month before the statement closes. So I wont go over my limit ever but and may put 1500 or so through the card over the statement period never carrying a balance. However I would like to know if the "spending power" option does tick off anything positive withbypur account standing if you pay it in full before atatement closing.
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I apologize for the spelling errors. My fingers are way to big for the mobile keyboard layout.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.