Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Payoff Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Card Payoff Question

Hi,

Just a very quick question.  I have sold my home and have about $20,000 in credit card debt.  I plan on paying off all my CC debt but my question is this.  Do I simply pay the balance all at once in one payment or is it better for my FICO score to make a couple of seperate payments?  Also thinking of clossing all but two cards but have read that closing the account would hurt my FICO score and that I should just leave them open with a zero balance.

Thanks for the help... 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Card Payoff Question

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi,

Just a very quick question.  I have sold my home and have about $20,000 in credit card debt.  I plan on paying off all my CC debt but my question is this.  Do I simply pay the balance all at once in one payment or is it better for my FICO score to make a couple of seperate payments?  Also thinking of clossing all but two cards but have read that closing the account would hurt my FICO score and that I should just leave them open with a zero balance.

Thanks for the help... 

Welcome to the forums. For optimal scoring pay all of the balances down to $0 except for one that you leave a small balance on.  Closing credit cards will not hurt your scores unless you have balances on other cards and the closed cards dramatically affect your utilization.  This doesn't seem to be an issue in your case so go ahead and close the cards.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Card Payoff Question

Thanks for the reply Irish.  That's exactly what I intended on doing.  I am going to use one card for gas and small purchases and pay it off each month.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.