Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Payoff plan of attack

tag
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Card Payoff plan of attack

@Anonymous wrote:
The goal is to not be paying interest but if every bill is already charging interest you have to see what is in your budget to kill. 8 credit cards is at least $200 minimum payments. if money is very tight the snowball method is how you get going. If you tie up all your money on high APR card you still have all the same bills 6 months later.

Thanks, and I agree with you. That is why I figured I would post it up. I want to get them paid down asap rather than pay a lot of uneeded interest. Money is tight for a few months because I just bought my daughters first car and paid cash for it. I should be fine in about 3 months. I hope. lol

Experian: 677 (28) | TransUnion: 697 (27) | Equifax: 684 (6)
Gardening as of: 1-23-2018
Updated 1-25-18
Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes but on paper if you are a robot and never use a credit card from here on out of course pay Amazon and the other one first. If in the coming months if you miss a couple days of work or something your paycheck isnt the same the quicker you can get two or three card done and gone for you its confirmed progress.

Multiple pays a month doesn't hurt either, especially when statement cut is after payday but due was before payday. You can look into changing the due day as well to line up with things like that it kind of micro managing but if it helps a 80% UTIL drop quicker that's what you want to do

Message 12 of 18
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Yes but on paper if you are a robot and never use a credit card from here on out of course pay Amazon and the other one first. If in the coming months if you miss a couple days of work or something your paycheck isnt the same the quicker you can get two or three card done and gone for you its confirmed progress.

Multiple pays a month doesn't hurt either, especially when statement cut is after payday but due was before payday. You can look into changing the due day as well to line up with things like that it kind of micro managing but if it helps a 80% UTIL drop quicker that's what you want to do

Thanks, I overlooked changing due dates. That would actually help on 2 of them. 

Updated 1-25-18
Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

My credit limits are no where as high as yours but what I usually do to keep my credit profile looking good is that I pay all my minimum balances ahead of time usually right after the statement date that way I know I won't miss any payment. Then I pay extra on each balance in the order that the statement comes out...
Message 14 of 18
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Do not use a card to swipe through your business. This tends to get the card flagged (they have their ways of knowing Smiley Wink.

Just putting that out there, since no one brought that up.
Signature needs updating
Message 15 of 18
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
My credit limits are no where as high as yours but what I usually do to keep my credit profile looking good is that I pay all my minimum balances ahead of time usually right after the statement date that way I know I won't miss any payment. Then I pay extra on each balance in the order that the statement comes out...

That is what I do when I don't have so many reporting balances like I do now. I like that plan. It works well for me. I will be letting all my store cards close at the 1 year mark so my # of cards should come down considerably. I might actually start closing 1 a month. Most of these store cards were gotten on the same day and I am not sure letting them all close in the same month would be good for my score. 

Updated 1-25-18
Message 16 of 18
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

@Imperfectfuture wrote:
Do not use a card to swipe through your business. This tends to get the card flagged (they have their ways of knowing Smiley Wink.

Just putting that out there, since no one brought that up.

I hadn't thought of that. And truthfully, I am not thrilled with the idea. To me when you start jumping through hoops like that it's a sign you are not in control of your finances and if I have learned one thing from this forum its that I don't want to lose control of 82K in TCL. I know that is not as high as some but at my income, it would devestate me. 

Updated 1-25-18
Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

spend wisely..good luck.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.