Did you mean: 

Credit Card Possibilities

tag
android01
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Card Possibilities

@LS2982 wrote:

@Berkster wrote:

Hi everyone, I am curious to what credit card I would have the best chance to qualify for with the score that I have. The only debt that I have is a student loan $119 per month. My debt to income ratio is 6% utility bills, insurance and student loan(bankrate.com), I own my home. The only negative I have is a  7 year old bankruptcy. Annnual income is a little over $47k. I have a Cap One with a 2K CL/ 0 BAL, HSBC 1500 CL/ 0 BAL, 5/3rd BANK 750CL/ 0 BAL. I bank with USAA and 5/3rd Bank (checking and savings at both. Any insight will be great.

You may want to wait for the BK to drop off (which should be 6 months or sooner) from now to apply for anything else. AMEX would be a good shot (charge card).

BK's remain on your report for 10 years, I believe.

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 11 of 22
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@android01 wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@Berkster wrote:

Hi everyone, I am curious to what credit card I would have the best chance to qualify for with the score that I have. The only debt that I have is a student loan $119 per month. My debt to income ratio is 6% utility bills, insurance and student loan(bankrate.com), I own my home. The only negative I have is a  7 year old bankruptcy. Annnual income is a little over $47k. I have a Cap One with a 2K CL/ 0 BAL, HSBC 1500 CL/ 0 BAL, 5/3rd BANK 750CL/ 0 BAL. I bank with USAA and 5/3rd Bank (checking and savings at both. Any insight will be great.

You may want to wait for the BK to drop off (which should be 6 months or sooner) from now to apply for anything else. AMEX would be a good shot (charge card).

It could be up to 10 years, but from 7.5 to 10 years. Hoping its 7.5 for you!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 12 of 22
SoulMaster
Established Contributor

It's allowed to remain on for up to 10, they can pop it at anytime they want though (but usually 10).

Poking around these forums, though, there are quite a few people here who've gotten AMEX @7 years post BK, w/ the BK still reporting.  It's as though their internal algorithm doesn't care once it's 7+.  YMMV.

If you have an INQ to burn, I'd try an AMEX.

-SM

I am not an attorney and none of what I write should be construed as legal advice. For legal advice please consult an attorney.

Starting Score: ~470 preBK(8/2010)
Current Scores as of Late January 2016 All 700+. Last CR pull from a lender(housing) was mid-score 749.
Goal Score: 700+ - reached.
Message 13 of 22
Berkster
Valued Member

Thanks guys. I haven't applied for anything in over a year now. I'm optimistic but cautious because I don't want to burn an inquiry if the chances are not favorable for a good card. Not that I am asking for a multi million dollar credit card but I am looking for something with  a little bit more bite to it.  Now what is the likely hood that a BK will fall off in 7.5 years? It would be great if it was to happen for me but realistically  I will plan for 10 but if it goes at 7.5 I am going to be glad.

Starting Score: TU 710 EQU 715 EXP 698
Current Score: TU 815 EQU 836 EXP 823

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 14 of 22
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@LS2982 wrote:

It all depends on which BK it is.

Ch 7 BK's report for 10 years after filing date.

CH 13 BK's report for 7 years after filing date if they're completed and discharged.

CH 13 BK's that are not completed (dismissed) report for 7 years after filing date on Experian and TU, and for 10 years after filing date on Equifax.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 15 of 22
Berkster
Valued Member

Typically how long does a discharged BK Chapter 7 stay on. I know this is the wrong board to ask that question but I am asking in response to the previous post.

Message 16 of 22
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Berkster wrote:

Typically how long does a discharged BK Chapter 7 stay on. I know this is the wrong board to ask that question but I am asking in response to the previous post.

Ch 7 BK's report for 10 years after filing date.

CH 13 BK's report for 7 years after filing date if they're completed and discharged.

CH 13 BK's that are not completed (dismissed) report for 7 years after filing date on Experian and TU, and for 10 years after filing date on Equifax.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 17 of 22
Berkster
Valued Member

UPDATE, UPDATE, UPDATE, I took the plunge for the USAA card and it was approved!!! I applied for the USAA Rewards World MasterCard  and they gave me a $8k starting limit. I was nervous when I hit the submit button but I am better now I stopped shaking. Thanks guys for the advice on the USAA card.

Message 18 of 22
suebee123
Frequent Contributor

Wow, that's great.  Congrats on the approval!

Current: EQ Fico (700), EX Fico AMX (681) TU Fico Walmart (711) MyFico TU (708) Vantage: TU 803, EX 777, EQ 789
Goal: 700+ across the board.
Message 19 of 22
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Berkster wrote:

UPDATE, UPDATE, UPDATE, I took the plunge for the USAA card and it was approved!!! I applied for the USAA Rewards World MasterCard  and they gave me a $8k starting limit. I was nervous when I hit the submit button but I am better now I stopped shaking. Thanks guys for the advice on the USAA card.

That's wonderful! Congrats!!!!!!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.