Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Protection Plan(s)

tag
keith021
Regular Contributor

Credit Card Protection Plan(s)

I see this option is available for just about all credit cards, but I was wondering if it is really worth it. For example; if you have a medical emergency or job loss, the credit card protection plan with cover at least your minimal payments. I think the plans are fairly cheap; ex:  89 cent per $100.

What are your thoughts and have you ever had to use the protection plan before?

Starting Score: 665
Current Score: 715
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Card Protection Plan(s)

I actually opted for this on my cards. No reason to take a chance in this recession.
Message 2 of 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

keith021 wrote:

I see this option is available for just about all credit cards, but I was wondering if it is really worth it. For example; if you have a medical emergency or job loss, the credit card protection plan with cover at least your minimal payments. I think the plans are fairly cheap; ex:  89 cent per $100.

What are your thoughts and have you ever had to use the protection plan before?

Well, the problem is, these things are usually set up in a way that the CCC can pretty much weasel out if and when you try to collect. There seems to be some version of a phase-of-the-moon or color-of-your-eyes clause that makes the protection invalid. A year or so ago, we had a member with a newborn with major medical problems, and she lost her job, and found that her Chase payment protection plan covered nothing at all.

I can understand the thinking behind getting these plans, but they are mostly a cash cow for the lenders. My recommendation would be to first take the money and put it in a rainy-day savings account instead. Secondly, never put anything on a credit card that you couldn't pay off immediately with money from savings or wherever.

Financial writers also advise against these plans, pretty much universally. Again, you need to evaluate your own situation, read all the fine print on these things, dream up some worst-case scenarios and apply them against the coverage that is offered, and mainly, don't have balances that you can't pay off and that enslave you to lenders.

edit: cna't splel
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 01-20-2010 05:43 PM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 6
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with hauling. If you feel the need to have protection to pay credit card bills if something bad happens then you have way too much charged on those cards.
Message 4 of 6
DI
Super Contributor

CCPP's are not needed for cards that are PIFM.
Message 5 of 6
Cotton_Britches
Frequent Contributor

It's a ripoff. Stay away.  
“Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase.”
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.