Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Rate Increases....profile of who's getting hit

tag
armywifey85
Regular Contributor

Re: Credit Card Rate Increases....profile of who's getting hit

I gave my daughter strict orders not to apply for anything without first talking with me. She has two credit cards with USAA and since she was still a dependent until 23 I monitored her spending and payments. I don't think they should allow you to use your student aid for income that should be for school use only. Well I don't know how my neice got all those credit cards from Citibank, Chase, Discover etc. Those credit cards had more limit than her student aid and she had no other income. Thanks to the new credit act that will all change Kids will need a cosigner.

Message Edited by armywifey85 on 10-21-2009 05:39 PM
Message 41 of 48
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@armywifey85 wrote:

I gave my daughter strict orders not to apply for anything without first talking with me. She has two credit cards with USAA and since she was still a dependent until 23 I monitored her spending and payments. I don't think they should allow you to use your student aid for income that should be for school use only. Well I don't know how my neice got all those credit cards from Citibank, Chase, Discover etc. Those credit cards had more limit than her student aid and she had no other income. Thanks to the new credit act that will all change Kids will need a cosigner.

It's doubtful things will change very much. Those sub-21 will either have to provide a co-signer -or- submit financial information "including through an application, indicating an independent means of repaying any obligation arising from the proposed extension of credit in connection with the account." That's sufficiently vague that stated income may well be enough.

Message 42 of 48
marty56
Super Contributor

No rate jack (I dont revolve balances any more though).  Auto CLI of 1K on my Sams card.  LOL I used to carry big balances on my Sams card so maybe they are trying to get me to fall off the wagon.

These days the best AA protection is delaing with CUs and not revolving balances.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 43 of 48
MattH
Senior Contributor

@DI wrote:
I wish I can figure out who Citi, BOA and Chase giving rate increases to.  Is it  people with big balances on multiple cards?  Is it people with maybe a recent late payment on their mortgage, or someone who refinanced their mortgage?   Is it people who regularly not pay in full?

As best I can tell they are using Ouija Boards.  My wife and I both have FICO scores (real FICO scores, not FAKOs) around 800, with absolutely no negatives on any of our credit reports.  Neither of us has applied for credit in several years.  In 2002 we took out a mortgage to purchase our current residence, in late 2003 we refinanced (no cash out, purely taking advantage of a rate drop), and in 2004 I took out a car loan.  Since 2006 neither of us has applied for credit of any kind, and since 2007 both of us have paid our credit card balances in full every month.  Before 2005 we generally carried modest balances on our credit cards because we put most of our cash into the down payment and it took a few years for us to rebuild our emergency fund.  In 2005 we got worried about what seemed to us insane real estate prices and began saving in case of a collapse and at the moment have about one year's living expenses in our emergency fund.  AMEX, Chase, and Citi have in recent months decided to raise our rates.  Chase, Citi, and Discover do keep bombarding us with low-APR balance transfer offers which we shred because we have no balances to transfer.

I don't see how we can fit any plausible definition of "high risk" right now.  My personal theory is that in our case their computers have noticed we don't like to pay CC interest and therefore have calculated that keeping our APR low is unlikely to induce us to pay them some interest unless we face a short-term emergency and will pay whatever the APR might be.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 44 of 48
wajj
Contributor

Things that I don't think have been mentioned that banks may very well be looking at include -- where you live (I would think that people in MI, OH, CA, and other hard hit states are going to suffer more at the hands of card companies than people in ND, VT or other states that are not suffering the effects of the recession as much), what the banks show (not necessarily what is the actual amount) of you HHI is, any changes in your spending patterns not only on their card but on other cards as well, where you pay them from, do you pay online, over the phone, or by mail, do you access their website often, do you acces it using Quicken or other financial software, and so forth and so on.

The banks can measure all of these things (and would be remiss if they did not) so I figure that any and all of them could factor in to these decisions.  If I were a bank, my ideal customer would be someone living in a low unemployment state who has had a mortgage for 10 to 20 years with a perfect payment record, where real estate values have fallen far less than the national average, who regularly monitors his/her account using some kind of finanacial software package, who has not changed jobs recently, who makes a consistant pattern of many small to medium purchases from the same stores, who makes regular payments of an "appropriate" size, who does not yo-yo a balance.  In other words, I would want predicability and indications of security.  If I don't get it, then increasing rates, decreasing credit, etc. would be a possiblity to compensate for that lack.

Now, you may feel that you are within your means and well able to meet your credit obligations and you have done so.  That does not mean the banks feel the same.  And, since the banks tend to get burned unless they anticipate problems, as far as they are concerned, it is better for them to err on the side of caution.

Message 45 of 48
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Two things issuers have definitely been considering (by their own admission):

• If you hold a mortgage (and this is not a positive thing)
  • The strength of your payment pattern (6%+ of balance considered excellent and on down)

Since many (but certainly not all) that Citi recently inflicted AA on were balance carriers I suspect that strength of payment was a large factor.

It should also be noted that the actual reasons behind the recent Citi AA move seem to be hush hush.

Message 46 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

On another note: Exxon (managed by Citi) raised rates 1.99% on my account (I always PIF it).  As explained by the CSR (very nice lady, BTW) they will lose the $14.95 telephone payment fee along with other fees so it was 'decided' to raise everyone's rate by basically the same amount to compensate.  I have no problem with this, nor would I have had a problem with the Citi MC doing the same thing (an across the board adjustment on every customer).

What Citi and the others are forgetting is they need the business of their good customers who pay whether in full or minimums+- they do make money on every transaction that we process on their card. I didn't have to do business with them - I CHOOSE to... and now I CHOOSE NOT to except for an occassional small purchase to keep the card active and if that isn't good enough for them and they close the account - so be it.  Five years from now when they are begging me to do business with them (if they are around and have't had the plug pulled on them) -- do you think I will?

Message 47 of 48
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

You were pretty lucky with Exxon. There also has been a recent wholesale cancelation of Citi/Gas cobranded MC's of all stripes:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/10/20/business/main5402319.shtml

Message 48 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.