Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Recommendation?

tag
HiLine
Blogger

Re: Credit Card Recommendation?

Since you are still in school and make purchases on Amazon, Citi Forward should be the first card you consider. You said that you don't really travel, so the Amex PRG will not be very helpful. You should replace this card by the BCP; sounds like your grocery spending will justify the annual fee of the BCP. Another card you should put on the list is the US Bank Cash + which will give you 5 points per dollar spent on cell phone bills. Discover It or Freedom may be a contender too: sometimes they have very useful 5% categories. If you buy stuff online from merchants' websites, Shop Discover usually will give you the most rewards.

In short, I recommend the Forward, BCP, Cash+, Discover It, and Freedom, in that order. 

Message 11 of 23
HiLine
Blogger

@CEOriginal wrote:
HiLine, Discover has the best online shopping portal? I've heard everyone rave about the UR mall.. Never Discover's though. What's so nice about it?

They cover a lot of stores and usually offer the highest cashback percentage. There are lots of Discover It owners on this forum that can testify that. 

Message 12 of 23
hockeyplayr

@HiLine wrote:

Since you are still in school and make purchases on Amazon, Citi Forward should be the first card you consider. You said that you don't really travel, so the Amex PRG will not be very helpful. You should replace this card by the BCP; sounds like your grocery spending will justify the annual fee of the BCP. Another card you should put on the list is the US Bank Cash + which will give you 5 points per dollar spent on cell phone bills. Discover It or Freedom may be a contender too: sometimes they have very useful 5% categories. If you buy stuff online from merchants' websites, Shop Discover usually will give you the most rewards.

In short, I recommend the Forward, BCP, Cash+, Discover It, and Freedom, in that order. 

Amex got me with the promo offer for the prg which was 50k points with 1k spent in the first 3 months.  Figured that along with the AF being waived for the first year would justify me accepting the offer just to get my foot in the door with amex.  As far as the forward card, I have been out of school for over a year so I am in the process of reapplying to other schools.  Not sure how that would reflect if I were to apply for that card

Message 13 of 23
HiLine
Blogger

@hockeyplayr wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

Amex got me with the promo offer for the prg which was 50k points with 1k spent in the first 3 months.  Figured that along with the AF being waived for the first year would justify me accepting the offer just to get my foot in the door with amex.  As far as the forward card, I have been out of school for over a year so I am in the process of reapplying to other schools.  Not sure how that would reflect if I were to apply for that card

I'm not sure if you have to prove your student status for a student credit card applicaiton, but you do have to be a college student to be eligible. 

Message 14 of 23
myjourney
Super Contributor

OP 

I can tell that you have done your homework and that being said you stated you didn't want any HP unnecessarily...since your spend most on groceries etc and wanted the BCE which fits your lifestyle I suggest you apply for the card you want. You have nothing to loose but a yes or no and the no will not hurt you because it's a SP...IMHO

If approved its a HP and you have the card you wanted 1 HP and your done.

Good luck and best wishes 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 15 of 23
CredittotheMax
Frequent Contributor

I'm gonna have to contradict everything you said. lol Apping for BCE won't trigger anything because I got approved two months after my Amex Green. Cit will definitely grow with you because They started out giving me the higjest limit at 2k and raised to 3k after 6 months. I'm hoping for maybe 5k next increase.

$5k$4.5k$2.8k$8k$500
FICO = EQ: 786 (1/15) TU:774 (2/15) EX: 767 (2/15)
Message 16 of 23
hockeyplayr

Any hidden benefits with a citi card? I know the diamond preferred pretty much pushed 0% apr for x amount of months and 24/7 concierge.. Also does anyone who may have both the BCE and Chase Freedom prefer one over the other? Do the freedom categories ever extend into entertainment related purchases? 

@CredittotheMax wrote:

I'm gonna have to contradict everything you said. lol Apping for BCE won't trigger anything because I got approved two months after my Amex Green. Cit will definitely grow with you because They started out giving me the higjest limit at 2k and raised to 3k after 6 months. I'm hoping for maybe 5k next increase.

Message 17 of 23
hockeyplayr

Well just an update.  I went ahead and applied for the BCE figuring if I get declined I get my credit report and a soft pull is done.  To my surprise I was approved instantly after having only their PRG card for a little less than 2 months.  Does anyone know if there is a way I can check my credit limit without calling them? When I log into my amex account only my PRG is listed?

Message 18 of 23
asphaltcowboy
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the approval!

Starting Score TU 667 EQ 663 EX 655
Current Score TU 778 EQ 776 EX 781 Last Update 4/2016
Garden Club 04/10/2013
Message 19 of 23
dodfire
Valued Contributor

Congrats on your BCE!!!! 

*8/10/13
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.