Reply
Frequent Contributor
lurknomore
Posts: 356
Registered: ‎10-10-2007

Re: Credit Card Responsibilbity


manyquestions wrote:

ddd wrote:


 

I do not mean total Abstinence I mean abstain from buying anything that you could not pay for in cash. I just think that if we preached this more and more maybe so many people would not be in credit trouble.

 

 


My impression is that is what posters preach here. 


 

Exactly.  There is no real difference in advising credit card users to "abstain from spending more than you pay for in cash" and advising them to PIF every statement because if you don't abstain from overspending, you won't be able to PIF.  It's basically a "toe-may-toe, toe-mah-toe" situation; you're essentially saying the same thing.

 

Admittedly people can sometimes get caught up in encouraging others to get credit cards they don't need in app sprees.  It is NOT common, however, for posters on this forum to encourage others to overspend or live beyond their means.

FICO: 8/08 - TU 718; EQ 702; EX 733 (Bonafide 700 club member!)
Next goal: 750s across the board!!
Valued Contributor
jmbfl
Posts: 1,185
Registered: ‎03-04-2008
0

Re: Credit Card Responsibilbity

[ Edited ]

lurknomore wrote:

 

Exactly.  There is no real difference in advising credit card users to "abstain from spending more than you pay for in cash" and advising them to PIF every statement because if you don't abstain from overspending, you won't be able to PIF.  It's basically a "toe-may-toe, toe-mah-toe" situation; you're essentially saying the same thing.

 

Admittedly people can sometimes get caught up in encouraging others to get credit cards they don't need in app sprees.  It is NOT common, however, for posters on this forum to encourage others to overspend or live beyond their means.


When I initially ready this post it was way too early the morning after Election Day and I was pie eyed.

 

I heartily agree with your statement. This forum is largely an exchange of experiencial information pertaining to credit cards. What the recipient choses to do with the information received and the results derived from it is on them. I don't believe I have ever seen a poster in the credit card forum ever advocate overspending or living beyond ones means.

Message Edited by jmbfl on 11-05-2008 06:59 AM
Valued Contributor
jmbfl
Posts: 1,185
Registered: ‎03-04-2008

Re: Credit Card Reponsibility


wmarat wrote:

Is not it what DR preaches?


ddd wrote:
I dont think anyone likes to talk about this topic but I feel its the most important one of them all. I know this entire forum is dedicated to reactive advice about fixing Fico Scores. How about being proactive and being an advocate for responsible credit card usage. I truly belive that ABSTINANCE will get you a way better score than after the fact problem solving. What do you guys think?

 


That was my first thought when I read that post. I chose to repsond in the rather lengthy way I did before. It was either that or invoke the D.R. antidote Flava Flave again!

 

 

Established Contributor
Uniqua
Posts: 683
Registered: ‎04-05-2008
0

Re: Credit Card Reponsibility

Well, ddd, do you (like me) now wish you had never used the word "abstinence?" Some of these comments are unbelievable and pretty much arrogant.

I just want you to know that I thought your topic was good and worthy to be discussed and in NO WAY did I take offense to anything you've said.

Back to my credit garden!

Starting Score: TU 723, EQ 708
Current Score: TU 796, EQ 743
Goal Score: TU 800, EQ 800


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge


Starting Score: 708
Current Score: 743
Goal Score: 800


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Frequent Contributor
ddd
Posts: 443
Registered: ‎06-07-2007

Re: Credit Card Reponsibility


Uniqua wrote:
Well, ddd, do you (like me) now wish you had never used the word "abstinence?" Some of these comments are unbelievable and pretty much arrogant.

I just want you to know that I thought your topic was good and worthy to be discussed and in NO WAY did I take offense to anything you've said.

Back to my credit garden!

Thank You I have a knack for putting up contoversial Post. I really like to get to the Core of the issues instead of fixing them with Secured Credfit Cards and applyting every other week to see what they can get approved for or not. I knew people were going to jump all over but it is way better than "What Cards can I get approved with on a BK" ? I hate those post, Why dont they ask I had a BK I'm going to be finacialy responsible and build up my credit the right way.

Valued Contributor
jmbfl
Posts: 1,185
Registered: ‎03-04-2008

Re: Credit Card Reponsibility


ddd wrote:

Thank You I have a knack for putting up contoversial Post. I really like to get to the Core of the issues instead of fixing them with Secured Credfit Cards and applyting every other week to see what they can get approved for or not. I knew people were going to jump all over but it is way better than "What Cards can I get approved with on a BK" ? I hate those post, Why dont they ask I had a BK I'm going to be finacialy responsible and build up my credit the right way.


Posters come here for information, not judgement or a critique of their question framing skills.

 

Perhaps you should re-read my earlier post in this thread...

Frequent Contributor
ddd
Posts: 443
Registered: ‎06-07-2007
0

Re: Credit Card Reponsibility


jmbfl wrote:

ddd wrote:

Thank You I have a knack for putting up contoversial Post. I really like to get to the Core of the issues instead of fixing them with Secured Credfit Cards and applyting every other week to see what they can get approved for or not. I knew people were going to jump all over but it is way better than "What Cards can I get approved with on a BK" ? I hate those post, Why dont they ask I had a BK I'm going to be finacialy responsible and build up my credit the right way.


Posters come here for information, not judgement or a critique of their question framing skills.

 

Perhaps you should re-read my earlier post in this thread...


Thats the problem with this country perhaps you should watch CNN for about half an hour. Americans feel thaht they are entitled to anything and everything and are not acoountable for their actions. I'm not critizing a soul, I'm just suggesting that people become fore ACCOUNTABLE for their own actions.

Established Contributor
Uniqua
Posts: 683
Registered: ‎04-05-2008
0

Re: Credit Card Reponsibility

[ Edited ]
Leave it alone, ddd. Looks like this might start to get out of hand and it's not worth it. Somebody will always be offended. You've got a few good opinions anyway, which is what you wanted.



ddd wrote:

jmbfl wrote:

ddd wrote:

Thank You I have a knack for putting up contoversial Post. I really like to get to the Core of the issues instead of fixing them with Secured Credfit Cards and applyting every other week to see what they can get approved for or not. I knew people were going to jump all over but it is way better than "What Cards can I get approved with on a BK" ? I hate those post, Why dont they ask I had a BK I'm going to be finacialy responsible and build up my credit the right way.


Posters come here for information, not judgement or a critique of their question framing skills.

 

Perhaps you should re-read my earlier post in this thread...


Thats the problem with this country perhaps you should watch CNN for about half an hour. Americans feel thaht they are entitled to anything and everything and are not acoountable for their actions. I'm not critizing a soul, I'm just suggesting that people become fore ACCOUNTABLE for their own actions.


Message Edited by Uniqua on 11-07-2008 11:46 AM

Starting Score: TU 723, EQ 708
Current Score: TU 796, EQ 743
Goal Score: TU 800, EQ 800


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge


Starting Score: 708
Current Score: 743
Goal Score: 800


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
jmbfl
Posts: 1,185
Registered: ‎03-04-2008

Re: Credit Card Reponsibility

[ Edited ]

ddd wrote:

jmbfl wrote:

ddd wrote:

Thank You I have a knack for putting up contoversial Post. I really like to get to the Core of the issues instead of fixing them with Secured Credfit Cards and applyting every other week to see what they can get approved for or not. I knew people were going to jump all over but it is way better than "What Cards can I get approved with on a BK" ? I hate those post, Why dont they ask I had a BK I'm going to be finacialy responsible and build up my credit the right way.


Posters come here for information, not judgement or a critique of their question framing skills.

 

Perhaps you should re-read my earlier post in this thread...


Thats the problem with this country perhaps you should watch CNN for about half an hour. Americans feel thaht they are entitled to anything and everything and are not acoountable for their actions. I'm not critizing a soul, I'm just suggesting that people become fore ACCOUNTABLE for their own actions.


When you get to sounding too much like Dave Ramsey Flava Flav is invoked.

 

He says have a nice day!

 

 

Message Edited by jmbfl on 11-07-2008 11:26 AM
Super Contributor
MidnightVoice
Posts: 8,159
Registered: ‎03-25-2007

Re: Credit Card Reponsibility


ddd wrote:
I'm not critizing a soul, I'm just suggesting that people become fore ACCOUNTABLE for their own actions.

I know - I am so tired of these people with medical insurance who get sick and go bankrupt.  They should stay healthy

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}