Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Reporting Question

tag
GiveJoy
Contributor

Credit Card Reporting Question

Back in mid-January I paid off all my credit cards and store cards. Leaving me with zero balances on three cards and a $4.60 balance on another card and a newly added annual fee on another card, thus giving it a small balance. I have been waiting, and waiting, and waiting and the credit card companies have not yet updated this. I was hoping that this would bring a increase to my FICO score as I would be going from 74% utilization to almost 0% utilization. However, my FICO score I pulled last week showed that none of my credit cards have reported the new balances and instead of an increase in my score it dropped by 7 points.

How long do I need to wait? As I thought that it would not take this long. Is there any way I can speed this up? Also, I cancelled one of my cards and they were quick to update my report with that information but they still didn't update the zero balance. And I cancelled the card five weeks after I paid off the balance.

Any advice or perspective would be appreciated. Thanks. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Credit Card Reporting Question

most likely you lost points for the high UTL but im sure when all cards update you should see an increase in scores...good luck

@Cutie-Mama wrote:

Back in mid-January I paid off all my credit cards and store cards. Leaving me with zero balances on three cards and a $4.60 balance on another card and a newly added annual fee on another card, thus giving it a small balance. I have been waiting, and waiting, and waiting and the credit card companies have not yet updated this. I was hoping that this would bring a increase to my FICO score as I would be going from 74% utilization to almost 0% utilization. However, my FICO score I pulled last week showed that none of my credit cards have reported the new balances and instead of an increase in my score it dropped by 7 points.

How long do I need to wait? As I thought that it would not take this long. Is there any way I can speed this up? Also, I cancelled one of my cards and they were quick to update my report with that information but they still didn't update the zero balance. And I cancelled the card five weeks after I paid off the balance.

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 7
enharu
Super Contributor

@Cutie-Mama wrote:

call the banks and tell them to report.

some banks report every billing cycle, some do it every 2-3 cycles, some don't report entirely.

but as long as you call and request them to do so, they should.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 7
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

When did your statement come out this month? The CCCs usually report the balance at the time that they generated the statement. Most companies report to the credit bureaus shortly after the statement is generated.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 4 of 7
GiveJoy
Contributor

I haven't yet received my statements for this month. So your saying that my scores should report after statements are generated this month? When my statements were generated last month (Feb) my balances were already at zero, as that's what it said on my statement, but it hasn't reported to the credit bureaus.

Message 5 of 7
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

you could always dispute the balance with the BIG 3. 

That is one way to assure that the balance is updated correctly....  

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 6 of 7
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Hmmm...that's weird. Are you sure it wasn't your current balance versus your statement balance? Did they report for Feb yet?
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.