cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Rewards?? How valuable??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Card Rewards?? How valuable??

@Anonymous wrote:

The more spending you can funnel through reward cards, the happier you'll be. Last month was a typical month for me, spending-wise, and I earned $44 cash back on Discover. Extrapolate that throughout the year, and that's not chump change.

Not necessarily. For exampe:

Spending is $1000 per month (different categories).

Discover have 5% on gas right now if I'm not mistaken and 1% on everything else. So, the cashback will be about $10-15.

But if you spend the same $1000 through new opened AmEx PRG than you will get 51k points. Statement cash value is $306, travel value is $510 or more.

So, it not even close to  each other. There are many travel sign up bonuses on the market right now.

Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep, it all depends on whether you find value in travel rewards, or where else you find value.

Message 12 of 20
SMikulski49
Regular Contributor

I put everything on my credit card, where I can use it. I always pay in full and just collect rewards on that. I just got the Citi DC for my daily driver, I will charge every utility bill on it that I can, and all my purchases.

I have a question about MINT BILLS application. I use that to track my due dates and kinda get remainders of when what is due and what my balances are for every account. I know you can pay all your utilites using that app. It is free when you pay through you bank account and I read there is a fee if you want to pay using a credit card. Does anyone know what fees they charge for using that option? Is a a flat fee or does it depend on how much you are paying?

I know some utilites/rent/mortgage/car laons/student loans don't allow you to use your credit card to make payments. Does anyone have any experiance or tricks to go around that to maximise your credit card usage? Would it be beneficial to use something like MINT BILLS and pay a lil fee when the total rewards will be a lot more?

Also with all the different credit cards out there can we have a basic list of best cards for: groceries, restaurants, gas, bills, home improvment stores, etc. to kind of get an idea of how many cards would one need to maximise the rewards, maybe the cards will overlap a lot and one card could be a good choice for most people?

Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SMikulski49 wrote:

Also with all the different credit cards out there can we have a basic list of best cards for: groceries, restaurants, gas, bills, home improvment stores, etc. to kind of get an idea of how many cards would one need to maximise the rewards, maybe the cards will overlap a lot and one card could be a good choice for most people?

For groceries: AmEx BCP 6% (cap $6000/year, AF $75), Sallie Mae 5% (cap $250/month)

For gas: Sallie Mae 5% (cap $250/month), BankAmericard 3.3% (no cap, checking account required, 3% without checking account)

Just google it, there are a lot of good web sites where you can put your spending and see how much reward you can earn.

Message 14 of 20
Chris679
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Chris679 wrote:

I pay for absolutely everything with one of three credit cards and PIF twice per month.  

Do you pay rent/bills/mortgage by credit card?

All of my loan are through my CU.  The payments come out automatically as often as they let me directly from my checking account. 

Message 15 of 20
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@SMikulski49 wrote:

I put everything on my credit card, where I can use it. I always pay in full and just collect rewards on that. I just got the Citi DC for my daily driver, I will charge every utility bill on it that I can, and all my purchases.

I have a question about MINT BILLS application. I use that to track my due dates and kinda get remainders of when what is due and what my balances are for every account. I know you can pay all your utilites using that app. It is free when you pay through you bank account and I read there is a fee if you want to pay using a credit card. Does anyone know what fees they charge for using that option? Is a a flat fee or does it depend on how much you are paying?

I know some utilites/rent/mortgage/car laons/student loans don't allow you to use your credit card to make payments. Does anyone have any experiance or tricks to go around that to maximise your credit card usage? Would it be beneficial to use something like MINT BILLS and pay a lil fee when the total rewards will be a lot more?

You haven't seen my lists of cash back credit cards?  http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Cash-Back-credit-card-charts/m-p/4004740#M1124387

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 16 of 20
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

I never did finish working on this list of 5% cash back cards...

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 17 of 20
SMikulski49
Regular Contributor

I have not seen your post yet, very usefull information and nice comparison at the reach of your finger tips. This will definately save a lot of time.

Thank you

Message 18 of 20
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

Thank you all for your excellent advice.  I want to be conservative as i venture into the world of cc rewards.  Im in a favorable position compared to when i started this journey.  Many thanks to all the valauble input from the very knowledgeable MyFico members!  I decided to apply for a discover card.  I was really expecting maybe a $1,500 starting limit. Im pleased to announce a starting CL of $4,500! A most welcome surprise indeed.  So, im well on my way to starting the CC rewards game.  I have every intention of playing a conservative game, and of course, pif at least twice a month. Thanks again for all the "mentoring!" :-)

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 19 of 20
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

Themanwhocan, thats an amazing chart! Its memebers like you, who take the time to do this type of research that makes the MyFico forums such an invaluable resource! 

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.