Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Utilization?

tag
TURNERHOOVER
Established Contributor

Re: Credit Card Utilization?

@Anonymous wrote:

How much does CC Utilization matter when you have such a low limit. Me and DH both have Capital One Secured Master Cards, I pay off balances every 2 weeks. I make sure, I am on top of it. Now, since we have a low limit. I was wondering how much our utilization really matters. DH has had his about one month, and have had mine about 3 weeks. I know not long, but we are rebuilding credit to get our lives in the right place financially, to buy a house. DH also just got a car. It was neccesary purchase to get him back and fourth to work. His old car wasn't doing so great, and it was due to break down anytime. 

We have high utilization, Mine is bit higher, just due to the me paying bills with it factor. DH mostly uses his for gas for the car, and a smaller bill. Once in a while food if I send him to the store. We don't purchase anything we don't have the money for. Or any extra fun things. 

But at this point, so early how important is utilization? 

Apply for more credit. More credit = lower util

EX 727 | EQ 720 | TU 740

FREEDOM 4.5k | BCP 9.5k | DISCOVER 2.5k | ARRIVAL+ 7.5k | RITZ CARLTON 15k
No new Apps till Dec 2016
Message 11 of 19
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Hey NRB:

I don't know how to make it so the person I'm replying to's message appears in my reply so people know who my comments are directed to.

I was in a similar situation to you.  I had tons of revolving credit, all prime lines, platinum cards, lots of mileage cards, etc.  I never had a late payment but I always carried balances and over time they got bigger.  Then I got cancer.  I'm self-employed so I couldn't work (much).  I worked enough to pay my health insurance, the balances went up, and in November 2012 I had my first ever 30 day late payment in my life.  I had had a few mortgages, auto loans, and a ton of high quality credit cards.

November 2012 - First 30 day late in my life.

12/2012 - 6/2013 - Various accounts 30, 60, 90 days late ...

07/2013 - AMEX charges off my platinum card (18K) and sues me.

08/28/2013 - Filed BK 7.  Nearly 200K in unsecured revolving debt.

Now I am blacklisted by just about anybody you would want to have a card with.  I have managed to get my FICO's up to the 690s in 14 months post discharge, and I have about 40K in new unsecured credit, so I'm doing well.

But I will never, ever, ever, EVER carry a balance on a card again.  If I am desperate for money I will try to get an installment personal loan from my credit unon and lock up my cards until that loan is paid off.

Great credit is wonderful but sleeping at night and not worrying to death is priceless.

Sounds like you have got your path thought out.  Good luck.  (I mean that!)

Message 12 of 19
NRB525
Super Contributor

@TURNERHOOVER wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

How much does CC Utilization matter when you have such a low limit. Me and DH both have Capital One Secured Master Cards, I pay off balances every 2 weeks. I make sure, I am on top of it. Now, since we have a low limit. I was wondering how much our utilization really matters. DH has had his about one month, and have had mine about 3 weeks. I know not long, but we are rebuilding credit to get our lives in the right place financially, to buy a house. DH also just got a car. It was neccesary purchase to get him back and fourth to work. His old car wasn't doing so great, and it was due to break down anytime. 

We have high utilization, Mine is bit higher, just due to the me paying bills with it factor. DH mostly uses his for gas for the car, and a smaller bill. Once in a while food if I send him to the store. We don't purchase anything we don't have the money for. Or any extra fun things. 

But at this point, so early how important is utilization? 

Apply for more credit. More credit = lower util

They've had the cards for, what, about a month? Another secured card is probably the only option open right now.

OR, not worry about utilization and just use the card and pay in full by the due date at the latest.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 13 of 19
NRB525
Super Contributor

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

Hey NRB:

I don't know how to make it so the person I'm replying to's message appears in my reply so people know who my comments are directed to.

I was in a similar situation to you.  I had tons of revolving credit, all prime lines, platinum cards, lots of mileage cards, etc.  I never had a late payment but I always carried balances and over time they got bigger.  Then I got cancer.  I'm self-employed so I couldn't work (much).  I worked enough to pay my health insurance, the balances went up, and in November 2012 I had my first ever 30 day late payment in my life.  I had had a few mortgages, auto loans, and a ton of high quality credit cards.

November 2012 - First 30 day late in my life.

12/2012 - 6/2013 - Various accounts 30, 60, 90 days late ...

07/2013 - AMEX charges off my platinum card (18K) and sues me.

08/28/2013 - Filed BK 7.  Nearly 200K in unsecured revolving debt.

Now I am blacklisted by just about anybody you would want to have a card with.  I have managed to my my FICO's up to the 690s in 14 months post discharge, and I have about 40K in new unsecured credit, so I'm doing well.

But I will never, ever, ever, EVER carry a balance on a card again.  If I am desperate for money I will try to get an installment personal loan from my credit unon and lock up my cards until that loan is paid off.

Great credit is wonderful but sleeping at night and not worrying to death is priceless.

Sounds like you have got your path thought out.  Good luck.  (I mean that!)

When you reply to a post, there is a Quote button in the upper right corner, that brings in the text of the post you are responding to.

Your situation is, unfortunately, a common type of issue here. Unforseen issues can derail any of us. That is why, when I give out advice, it is only to bring the advice to a usable level. I would never recommend anyone take out as much debt as I had, but in the context of the Debt Bubble, the banks were literally giving away the money, so a bunch went into cash balances. The truth about debt is, it does need to be paid back, and that is the portion of the cycle I am on now. The upside of my relationships with my banks is, they are now seeing fit to send me regular BT 0% and low interest offers, and that makes my payments more reasonable.

Each of us has a complicated story that has led us to this moment in our lives. What we are trying to discuss here is, what are the common themes we all need to understand to work with credit? The common advice frequently seen here that someone should always have 1% reporting, is not appropriate in all situations. The experience of many when they push the limit on a card by charging up high utilization percentages ( I've done it many times) and find they get a credit line increase, is one of those arguments against 1%.

Also, one of the key purposes of credit is to enable people to borrow more money than they have today, on the promise they will pay it back. Most of the time that works out well. Your case is an important, cautionary story that people need to understand, but it is not something that we can plan for, only know that we have to find the strength to deal with it. The great thing about this nation is, we have bankruptcy laws in place that make it possible for people to get out from under debts that they really can't pay. Yes, there's a cost to that, a cost in terms of rebuilding credit, but it's better than other countries where you would never get past that debt, it would require payment however long that took.

Cheers!

May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit utilization is a big deal. When you are rebuilding or starting over your limits are really too low to use. On a $300  limit card using more than about $75 a month or $125  on a $500 card will raise your utilization.

I'm going through that myself with 75% utilization but with my newly approved cards and those of my au, will be back at 30% in a few weeks. My score dropped from 727 to 644 per Discover.

Once you are able to get about $50,000 in cards, you can carry a $10,000 balance when and if needed and still be well under the 30% threshold and probably over a 700 score. Under 20% is best. A lot of people on here have rebuilt with waaay more credit lines than they need so they can charge a lump sum if needed and keep low utilization and high scores.

I don't know what your scores are or if you have derogs and collections.

You could use some more accounts to raise your credit lines, charge less than 10%  on them and pay them off in 2 payments over 60 days so some activity will show on your reports.

Do you have an au with no debt to add you on 2 cards? Have you tried the shopping cart trick for sp's? Get a couple more tradelines anywhere you can keep your debt ratio low, get your scores over 650, and some unsecured cards may come your way with $500-$1000 limits. 6 months of cards like that and some $1500-$2500 cards will be available to you.

Message 15 of 19
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Credit utilization is a big deal. When you are rebuilding or starting over your limits are really too low to use. On a $300  limit card using more than about $75 a month or $125  on a $500 card will raise your utilization.

I'm going through that myself with 75% utilization but with my newly approved cards and those of my au, will be back at 30% in a few weeks. My score dropped from 727 to 644 per Discover.

Once you are able to get about $50,000 in cards, you can carry a $10,000 balance when and if needed and still be well under the 30% threshold and probably over a 700 score. Under 20% is best. A lot of people on here have rebuilt with waaay more credit lines than they need so they can charge a lump sum if needed and keep low utilization and high scores.

I don't know what your scores are or if you have derogs and collections.

You could use some more accounts to raise your credit lines, charge less than 10%  on them and pay them off in 2 payments over 60 days so some activity will show on your reports.

Do you have an au with no debt to add you on 2 cards? Have you tried the shopping cart trick for sp's? Get a couple more tradelines anywhere you can keep your debt ratio low, get your scores over 650, and some unsecured cards may come your way with $500-$1000 limits. 6 months of cards like that and some $1500-$2500 cards will be available to you.

Your score didn't drop from 727 to 644 with only one card of ~$500, right? You've got larger balances on more cards than that, am I right? How long have you been building credit? Which cards, limits, and open balances do you have? Was there some other change or loss of an AU positive in your profile as well?

OP situation, with only the one card is starting out with a low FICO (presuming a FICO even calculates yet) because of short payment history, not any utilization effects that would be noticeable.

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a score, a 562 per transunion, which isn't awful. But I am paying off all my debts, its something I am working on. I am doing it one at a time, hoping to have everything paid off in 6 months. I am in the middle of writing some disputes, that I am not responsible for. I am 25. I screwed up my credit when I was 19. After my debts are paid off I hope to put another deposit on my secured card to raise it. I really only pay bills and buy food with my credit card.

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I had a $500 student card, it was always easily maxed out and I had to make many payments per month. It's annoying but still managable. And an auto CLI would occur soon with such heavy usage for most banks.

Just pay off everything before statement closes, so it reports 0 and you don't need to worry about ultilization.

Message 18 of 19
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

How much does CC Utilization matter when you have such a low limit.

Limit doesn't matter.  Utilization is a ratio that factors in limit.  It's balance(s)/limit(s).

As for how much it matters, look at the Amounts Owed slice:

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

The other general meaning or the term "utilization" is how much you put through a card every month as seen by the credit card lender.

Usage is generally the word used for that.  Utilization is generally used to mean revolving utilization.

@NRB525 wrote:

I'm sorry, that isn't helpful to OP in this situation.

They only just got their first cards. They need to be using the cards regularly and paying them frequently. Utilization on a $500 card, when it is your only card, should never be factored in someones decisions to limit use of the card while building credit.

Utilization always matters.  One in a situation like the OP's doesn't need to worry about optimizing utilization by allowing only one balance to report at 10% but utilization is always a significant risk factor.  While one can limit spend to control utilization one can also make payments to reduce reported utilization.

@NRB525 wrote:

The most important factor in your FICO score, bar none, is never ever missing any payments. Utilization levels are just an icing on the cake. Your relationship with the banks that issue your cards is something to be taken seriously and they will like you as a customer.

That's misrepresenting it.  Payment History is certainly the biggest  factor but utilization is not "icing on the cake".  It is the next biggest factor -- see link I provided.  HP's and Mix are closer to being icing and even so HP's can be cited as a denial reason for thin profiles.  Optimizing utilization (1 balance at 10% or less) could be considered icing on the cake but that doesn't mean that utilization in general doesn't matter.

Prolonged high utilization can lead to adverse action.  High utilization can prevent approvals and even if approved severely restrict the limits and APR's that one can qualify for.  These are not negligible impacts.

That said, all factors matter as one's entire credit profile is assessed and not just one factor on its own.  You can't just pick the biggest factor and ignore the rest.

This may not be an option on the mobile site but if you're on the full site hit the Reply button under the message you want to quote.  In the editor hit the Quote button and the entire message will be quoted.  Trim off any irrelevant text.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.