Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 21 of 22
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Credit Card and Store Card Utility

@thebanjoman wrote:

@MarineVietVet wrote:

Hmm.  If store cards and bank cards are in separate buckets... does that mean credit unions are a third, separate bucket for utilization treatment?  I believe I've seen it broken down into those three categories before. Finally one I have the answer to.  Smiley Happy  Credit cards from credit unions count the same as bankcards from big banks. This wasn't always true, but with the newer models there's no difference.

Also, does this mean that the concept that a small balance should be left on a single card indicates use of credit whereas all zeros is treated as ignorance or disuses of credit can be broken down further into a balance left solely on a bankcard indicates disuse of store cards and/or vice versa? I don't believe (could be wrong) it matters. The same concept would apply; i.e.. utilization on store cards vs.. bankcards is looked at virtually the same for scoring. Now lenders might differentiate between the two but not scoring. Those are 2 separate considerations.

Message 22 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.