Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card as a Line of Credit

tag
tpatterson2k9
Regular Contributor

Credit Card as a Line of Credit

So there is this credit union in my area that, after discovering this, seems to offer a LOC option on their credit cards that flies in the face of what you'd normally expect from a CC.

With School's First Federal Credit Union (located in Southern California), you are actually able to withdraw as a cash advance the FULL amount of your credit limit. They do not charge you a fee for the cash advance. The only issue is that interest starts accruing right away, which is standard for cash advances. The benefit here is that you can withdraw 100% of your available limit as opposed to a 20% limit max with other CCCs. With a fairly low cash advance interest rate of 15.8%, it has become something that I absolutely love having as an additional financial instrument when cash is needed.

Has anyone else had any experiences like this with other banks or credit unions?

Starting Scores (lender pull 3/27/10): 759 (EQ), 752 (TU), 749 (EX)
Current Scores (myFICO 4/4/11): 768 (EQ)
Goal Scores: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Amexit

Re: Credit Card as a Line of Credit

@tpatterson2k9 wrote:

So there is this credit union in my area that, after discovering this, seems to offer a LOC option on their credit cards that flies in the face of what you'd normally expect from a CC.

With School's First Federal Credit Union (located in Southern California), you are actually able to withdraw as a cash advance the FULL amount of your credit limit. They do not charge you a fee for the cash advance. The only issue is that interest starts accruing right away, which is standard for cash advances. The benefit here is that you can withdraw 100% of your available limit as opposed to a 20% limit max with other CCCs. With a fairly low cash advance interest rate of 15.8%, it has become something that I absolutely love having as an additional financial instrument when cash is needed.

Has anyone else had any experiences like this with other banks or credit unions?

My CU Visa is the same, $20k at 10.25%

All cash if I wanted and no fees

It's nice to have!

FICO's 07/07/2014 EQ 725 EX 727 TU 724
Message 2 of 7
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

My CU Visa is the same way, no fees, same APR* (8.9), 100% of limit. It's very nice to have as a backup!

edit: same APR as purchases*

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 3 of 7
chwebb1
Established Contributor

@tpatterson2k9 wrote:

I've used my Ring similarly. My cash advance limit is 40% of my CL, and the APR is the same (8%). At the moment, there's a $1 fee for a CA, although that's going up to $3 later this year (and they're getting rid of FTFs). I think I've only used it like that once, though.

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 4 of 7
fot1
Established Contributor

PSECU hasd the same type of thing CC/LOC combo. %9.9 interest no fees and  aboth acounts show Credit limit on Credit report.. My $15.5 K  shows as $31k on my credit reports.. Great for Ultization purposes.

Too many to list..
Message 5 of 7
user5387
Valued Contributor

@tpatterson2k9 wrote:

For many CUs, a cash advance and an LOC are roughly the same thing.

Message 6 of 7
DiC916

SchoolsFirst FCU is amazing. I currently have my car loan through them, a personal loan, a credit card and an overdraft LOC. If you don't have one already, you may want to apply for an overdraft credit line. Payments post faster, and it'll give you a little bit extra cash to access, if needed.
EX: 675 / EQ: 737 / TU: 693
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.