Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card closed for inactivity question

tag
dodfire
Valued Contributor

Credit Card closed for inactivity question

Quick question for my friends here....

If I allow one of my cards to be closed for inactivity, will this have any negative impact on my score due to the comment listed on my CR?

OR

Should I just close the card myself??

*8/10/13
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Credit Card closed for inactivity question

@dodfire wrote:

If I allow one of my cards to be closed for inactivity, will this have any negative impact on my score due to the comment listed on my CR?

OR

no negative either way.

Message 2 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Score wise, it doesn't matter, whether closed by customer or issuer is the same for FICO scoring.  On manual review, it may raise a question as to why the issuer closed it.

So if you really don't care about the card, it might be very slightly better to close it first yourself.

Message 3 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Score wise, it doesn't matter, whether closed by customer or issuer is the same for FICO scoring.  On manual review, it may raise a question as to why the issuer closed it.

So if you really don't care about the card, it might be very slightly better to close it first yourself.

This manual review stuff is overrated... why would they be looking through pages and pages of a credit report and say "why would your account show (closed for inactivity(?" and that be an issue??

Message 4 of 10
dodfire
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the replies!!

The card in question is my Military Star Card, easy enough to explain if I allow it to close on its own.

I was just worried that it might be scored different and did not want a negative ding to be on my report for something I could avoid.

*8/10/13
Message 5 of 10
myjourney
Super Contributor

@dodfire wrote:

OR

IMHO it has no effect due to showing as a positive TL 

As long as it states on CR as "paid as agreed>>>in good standing>>>never late>>>etc etc 

Your good to go

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 6 of 10
dodfire
Valued Contributor

Great...thanks everyone!!

*8/10/13
Message 7 of 10
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

This manual review stuff is overrated... why would they be looking through pages and pages of a credit report and say "why would your account show (closed for inactivity(?" and that be an issue??

While I agree, I did get asked about a closed account. It was an FIA card that Sovereign Bank took over, so now shows closed and transferred to another lender. A Chase analyst asked me about why it was transferred and I told him, but I am not sure why he asked because it had prefect payment history. It may be because Sovereign hasn't reported a new account yet, but it wasn't a big deal.

I do agree that it's not like they will see that and decide to not grant anything. If all of the cards showed closed, then maybe it would be different, but if it's just one card closed for inactivity, they most likely won't ask any questions.

Message 8 of 10
Open123
Super Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

It one were going to do so anyway, isn't it more prudent just to close it to eliminate the possibility?  

Message 9 of 10
dodfire
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

It one were going to do so anyway, isn't it more prudent just to close it to eliminate the possibility?  

Because I would like for it to report as open for as long as possible. I know that time is running out on this card,  but I do not want to purchase something just to keep it open.

*8/10/13
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.