cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card company reporting death incorrectly

tag
derek6004

Credit Card company reporting death incorrectly

Since 2013 I have been batteling Synchrony bank about my Paypal mastercard in which they closed in May 2013. They reported that I had died and refused to handle this matter, they have disabled my online login, canceled my credit card, reported my account as charged off (even though I have tried for 2 years to pay them). I have since had bad credit due to this account being reported as delinquent, and have called many many times and spoke to their customer service department who just keeps telling me this account is in collections and has been charged off. I lay awake at night worried about this debt and dont know what to do, I have recently contacted my local and national news agencies, and most likely will begin to contact lawyers. I'm just wondering if this has happened to anyone else out there?? Thank you for your responses 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Callandra
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Card company reporting death incorrectly

I'm sorry I don't have any advice in this area, but that's weird that they wouldn't let you pay! I'm assuming you haven't been reported dead to any of your other cards/banks, right? In terms of settling the debt, have you tried contacting the collection agency? You might be able to work a PFD (pay for delete) and at least that will help your credit (but not your anger towards Synchrony). 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 2 of 6
derek6004

No this is the only credit card that I was reported as dead too, the funny part is I have 3 other credit cards issued by Synchrony and have always paid on time and they are still opened. The weird part is when I call they say it is in "collections" but it is an internal agency that is suppose to be collecting the money. I havent received anything from them in over 2 years. Today when I called the customer service agent said that the account has been closed and noted that I have died and they cannot accept a payment due to the primary cardholders death. I was so angry that I hung up on her, they never are able to help. It looks as though I'm left with 2 choices either to let it go, or hire an attorney to figure this mess out.

Message 3 of 6
UncleB
Credit Mentor

You really, really need to get this resolved. 

It appears the problem is only with this one account (at this time), but if your social security number gets listed on the DMF (Social Security Death Master File) not only could you have problems with *all* of your lenders, your social security number will become publicly searchable as well, since there is no "right to privacy" for the dead.  I don't need to tell you how bad that would be.

If you continue to get nowhere working on this yourself, I would honestly get a lawyer to step in. 

Message 4 of 6
myjourney
Super Contributor

File a complaint here and I'll bet it gets fast attention and a resolution 

http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd also ask for investigations with all the credit reporting agencies. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.