Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card debt down nearly $20k

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Card debt down nearly $20k

@baller4life wrote:

Check out below thread. Captool lists multiple sites that will sp your report for a rate pre-approval.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Need-personal-loan/m-p/4448494#U4448494

ETA: like Tortoise said, wait till balances update on reports before you shop around.

Thanks for the link baller. I've positioned us to have low interest revolving options to transfer some 0% when it ends, but I've been thinking about an installment loan instead. 

Message 11 of 29
msbia
Established Contributor

@baller4life wrote:
Oh wait....28%??? I think you should shop around for a better rate if possible. Smiley Frustrated

+100 Avant....smh. That's the reason I asked. 

Personal Credit? Check. Business Credit? Check.
Mission Accomplished.
Thanks MyFico!
Message 12 of 29
elim
Senior Contributor

I would buckle down and just pay off the cards.  The savings with an instalment loan usually isn't great unless you get some super APR.  Just use your cards for a pack of gum to keep them active and pay your bleep off until you have knocked enough out to breath again. Pay off the smallest first to free up the minimums for the next.

Message 13 of 29
tcbofade
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Wait until things report. You can do better. Check with Sofi and others after the dust settles. Patience grasshopper. 

LOL!  Thank you, Tortoise.  Smiley Happy

I'm in no race, and frankly, didn't expect the approval. 

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 14 of 29
tcbofade
Super Contributor

@baller4life wrote:

Check out below thread. Captool lists multiple sites that will sp your report for a rate pre-approval.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Need-personal-loan/m-p/4448494#U4448494

ETA: like Tortoise said, wait till balances update on reports before you shop around.

Thanks baller, I will check that out next month...  Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 29
noobody
Established Contributor

@tcbofade wrote:

Thanks both.

No, the CC balances are not at zero percent.  I'm doing the math right now, and if I took a $10k loan and paid off 13 CC accounts, it would save me nearly $100 per month.

It is also a four year fixed loan, instead of a never ending revolving line.

Hmmmm.

I do not think it saves you any money, just $100 less towards principle and interest
EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 16 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would touch a loan with 28% interest. As I recall, your balances were run up with home renovations. Any chance of looking into a second mortgage once things clear up a bit?
Message 17 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kidcat wrote:

It depends on whether or not it makes financial sense.  

Be careful about moving revolving debt to installment and then running back up the balances on the credit cards.  I've done that before and it wasn't pretty.  So that time I figured if it "hurt" more to dig myself out the less likely I would do it again.   And it has held true.  Something to keep in mind.

Just my 2cents

I totally agree. It will be tempting to run up those credit card bills again. Be sure you have the discipline to not do that. Good luck with your plan, whatever you decide to do.Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 29
tcbofade
Super Contributor

@noobody wrote:

@tcbofade wrote:

Thanks both.

No, the CC balances are not at zero percent.  I'm doing the math right now, and if I took a $10k loan and paid off 13 CC accounts, it would save me nearly $100 per month.

It is also a four year fixed loan, instead of a never ending revolving line.

Hmmmm.

I do not think it saves you any money, just $100 less towards principle and interest

I confess that I haven't done the math... yet. 

It would save us 90 odd dollars a month in cash flow...over the life of a four year loan vs open ended credit cards?  I'll bet it will save us quite a bit, but as I said, I haven't done the math yet.

Message 19 of 29
tcbofade
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I would touch a loan with 28% interest. As I recall, your balances were run up with home renovations. Any chance of looking into a second mortgage once things clear up a bit?

Just did that.  Smiley Happy

Reread the first post.  I just paid off nearly $20k in credit card debt, and $15kish in installment loan debt with a HELOC.  (Which I know is not exactly a second mortgage, but it's close enough for this situation...)

Now we're up to 80% LTV and are working on getting our PMI removed because I don't want to pay that anymore EITHER.  Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.