Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card for International Student without Credit History

tag
Aarvard
Established Contributor

Re: Credit Card for International Student without Credit History

When I opened my Citi checking and saving account the banker offered to open a Citi Forward card. I had no credit history back then because I just came to US a month before that.
And it's weird that they did a HP despite the 0 history and no SSN
03/25/2015 TU 08 765, EX 08 747, EQ 08 757, EQ 04 754.
01/30/2016 TU 08 775, EX 08 752, EQ 08 744
Goal: 780+ across all models.
Message 11 of 19
sponge_gto
New Contributor

@Ghoshida wrote:

@sponge_gto wrote:

How to get a Chase credit card with absolutely no credit history:

- Open a checking account with them. You may have to do so in branch since non-residents aren't supposed to open accounts with them online.

- Park $10k in the account.

- Apply for a credit card. The Freedom is a fairly rewarding choice.

- Prepare to be denied.

- Call the backdoor number for reconsideration. Gently remind them to consider "banking relationship".

- Prepare to be approved.

- Do with your deposit what you please.

We did that when DGF was fresh off the boat. Didn't even have an SSN and just went ahead with an ITIN. After she got the card we put the money back in my high-yield accounts.

I'd recommend this for an expat but I typically do not see many international students being able to park that much money at once Smiley Happy Which is why I offered the other options.

OP, if you do have that much cash, this is a pretty good route. 

Interestingly we are both students (it was only last November). As far as I'm aware, international students do typically sit on large piles of cash due to lack of investment opportunities and the need to regularly cough up large sums for tuition payments etc. But I'm sure the OP knows best how much money he/she can comfortably manoeuvre into a Chase account..

Amex: EDP, Platinum, SPG, Delta Gold; Chase: United no-AF, CSR, FU, IHG, Freedom; US Bank: Club Carlson Premier, Fidelity; Barclay: Rewards, SM; Discover: IT; Cap. One: Quicksilver; BoA: BBR; Consumers CU: Cash Rebates Siggy
Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Journey might also be a good option. I have heard international students being approved for that.

BoA is a good bet. If you bank with them apply for their nonsecured student card. If they don't want to approve they will counter with secured, which is still a good option as stated above
Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi ,

I recently got my SSN thanks to a job on-campus and while getting a lease off-campus I realized that I have no credit history in the US so I'm in the market for a good and nice first time Credit Card to build up some credit score and I have to say that I'm not doing well with all the choices and things I see in multiple banks' websites. I have seen many people recommended the Capital1 for newcommers but that one doesn't seem to be available anymore. 

So my question is, do you guys know of any good credit cards for international students with no credit history?

Thank you!

I would suggest applying for a student credit card before considering a secured card. I got approved for Discover It Student card with no history & know a few others who got approved for other student cards with no history. It's definitely worth a shot. Not sure why some suggest secured before a student card

Message 14 of 19
PointLager
Established Contributor

You can start with a Bank of America travel card as a secured $500 card.  

Message 15 of 19
drewrico
New Contributor

Capital One used to have the Capital One for Newcomers Card but its no longer on their website. It was a card designed for people new to the U.S. with limited credit history. Dont think they still offer it though..

UPDATE: of course this card has already been mentioned in the thread and i just was too lazy to read all the responses before applying. Sorry

Message 16 of 19
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

And this doesn't seem to be common for international students, but if you had an Amex card in your home country, you can (possibly) use global transfer and get one here.  If this works it seems a really good route for establishing credit.

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Try capital one/discover. They are nice to people without history.

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Try Citi Thank You Preferred. My boyfriend is an international grad student from China and Citi offered him this card. He isn't currently working either.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.