Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Card -> Gift Card -> Rewards

@UncleB wrote:

@BronzeTrader wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@BronzeTrader wrote:

From a friend.

He uses his CC to buy small amount ($50) gift card at gas station, and get gas CC rewards. Then the gift card is used as cash to buy food and receives gift card rewards. This works with any CC with 3% or 4% on gas. I'm sure a $100 gas station purchase does not look right.

Sounds like a good plan. The gift card can be used to buy gas, but carries no rewards.

sounds like you are saying he is buying a gift card for a restaurant and is somehow getting rewards from the restaurant not the card? like steak and shake??? for instance if you pay with their app you get $5 for every 50.  I typically purchase steak and shake gift cards at a 20% discount or more and get 2% cash back on top of it.  Then load those into the app and get another 10% off in essence.  Otherwise its only 3% with sams/aarp.

First you say the gift card receives gift card rewards, then you say the gift card carries no rewards.

You buy gift card at gas statioin. For gas CC, you get 3% or so gas rewards since $50 seems a legit gas purchase at gas station.

Then you use the gift card, or load the gift card into phone app. Use the balance to buy food, drink, coffee etc. You get certain amount of coupons for free food, after you spend $50 or so. 

This is intriguing... I do something similar myself.  Smiley Happy

I buy gift cards each month at Kroger (usually when they're running a 4x fuel point promo) and I effectively get 6% off (cash back) for using my BCP... similar to what you're describing with the gas station.  Until I got my Sam's Club MasterCard I would even buy Kroger GCs inside the store to use outside at the pump, so I could get 6% off my gas as well (that's no longer necessary, though). 

I've never been able to get any more mileage out of them than that, though (not that I'm complaining).  If there's an app that would squeeze even a few more points/cents out of the deal I would love to hear about it!  Smiley Wink  I have used the Chick-Fil-A app to pay before, but it's cumbersome and a GC isn't required (you get the same 'deals' with any credit card). 

I go to Starbucks all the time, so I use my BCP to get 6% cash back at Kroger/Meijer for Starbucks gift cards, load the money onto my Starbucks gold card (a gift card), and I get stars for every purchase I make.  With enough stars, I get free drinks at Starbucks of any value (I like to get quad, venti lattes, which run around $7-7.50 depending on what's in them).  On top of that, right now Meijer is giving $5 cash back on purchases of $50 in gift cards.  So, right now, all things considered I am getting around 25% cash back on my Starbucks purchases.

Message 11 of 13
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@BronzeTrader wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@BronzeTrader wrote:

From a friend.

He uses his CC to buy small amount ($50) gift card at gas station, and get gas CC rewards. Then the gift card is used as cash to buy food and receives gift card rewards. This works with any CC with 3% or 4% on gas. I'm sure a $100 gas station purchase does not look right.

Sounds like a good plan. The gift card can be used to buy gas, but carries no rewards.

sounds like you are saying he is buying a gift card for a restaurant and is somehow getting rewards from the restaurant not the card? like steak and shake??? for instance if you pay with their app you get $5 for every 50.  I typically purchase steak and shake gift cards at a 20% discount or more and get 2% cash back on top of it.  Then load those into the app and get another 10% off in essence.  Otherwise its only 3% with sams/aarp.

First you say the gift card receives gift card rewards, then you say the gift card carries no rewards.

You buy gift card at gas statioin. For gas CC, you get 3% or so gas rewards since $50 seems a legit gas purchase at gas station.

Then you use the gift card, or load the gift card into phone app. Use the balance to buy food, drink, coffee etc. You get certain amount of coupons for free food, after you spend $50 or so. 

I buy gift cards each month at Kroger (usually when they're running a 4x fuel point promo) and I effectively get 6% off (cash back) for using my BCP... similar to what you're describing with the gas station.  Until I got my Sam's Club MasterCard I would even buy Kroger GCs inside the store to use outside at the pump, so I could get 6% off my gas as well (that's no longer necessary, though). 

I've never been able to get any more mileage out of them than that, though (not that I'm complaining).  If there's an app that would squeeze even a few more points/cents out of the deal I would love to hear about it!  Smiley Wink  I have used the Chick-Fil-A app to pay before, but it's cumbersome and a GC isn't required (you get the same 'deals' with any credit card). 

I go to Starbucks all the time, so I use my BCP to get 6% cash back at Kroger/Meijer for Starbucks gift cards, load the money onto my Starbucks gold card (a gift card), and I get stars for every purchase I make.  With enough stars, I get free drinks at Starbucks of any value (I like to get quad, venti lattes, which run around $7-7.50 depending on what's in them).  On top of that, right now Meijer is giving $5 cash back on purchases of $50 in gift cards.  So, right now, all things considered I am getting around 25% cash back on my Starbucks purchases.

You sound like my starbucks twin Smiley Very Happy

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Scupra wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@BronzeTrader wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@BronzeTrader wrote:

From a friend.

You sound like my starbucks twin Smiley Very Happy

starbucks has $10 free after reloading $10 with visa checkout until 12/31 or it sells out.  Some have had issues with it so dont do it with 100% guarantee.

also, its usually better to buy gift cards from resellers although there is risk involved as with any investment.

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.